Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tick Tick

Went to a play last night, "Tick Tick BOOM". It's apparently by the "RENT" guy, but I'd never heard of it, and was therefore curious as to why it was set in the 90's.

That's when it was written. Ah, of course. The only bit that dated the thing (besides the part of the song where Johnny, agonizing over turning 30 soon, keeps singing I guess "thirtyinthenineties" which just sounded to ME like he was singing about the agony of turning 39... when it was clearly established to be his 30th coming up. They could have made that clearer. And by they, I mean the RENT guy.) whoops, long parentheses- the only bit that dated the thing was Johnny's lament over the lack of a Vietnam, or some other world event to rouse us out of apathy.

Truly, nine-eleven changed everything.

It showed us that we could still totally be apathetic even with such an event going on.

The lead was performed by a guy I went to high school with, who has always had an amazing voice, and that currently remains the same.

Ditto the female lead (but come on, it's hard for anyone to compete with Jeremy!) though her microphone decided it didn't want to work, but rather produce static for us. Very considerate, that.

The third person, generally "Johnny's" best friend, was good, but he has a speech thing that he obviously struggles with, and did mean I had to work a touch harder to understand him.

But that said, with just the three singers and the four band members the music burst out of them, they sounded much more than the sum of their parts. It's cool music too, and since this isn't some original work written in the now, I'm betting one could youtube the songs to check them out.

It took slightly longer to get downtown than I had calculated. Fortunately I had drawn up a little map of where to go (as is my practice) and located the place right after running out of the station. I entered the door right as Jeremy said his first word, grabbing a lonely position in the empty back row, immediately recognizing three friends sitting right in the row in front of me (and eventually recognising the fourth also sitting with that lot... I missed him for a while there). The group noticed me soon, were quite happy to see me (and I them), but I couldn't help but think how typical that arrangement was for me.

Just out of reach of the main group. With them, but not really. There's always some barrier up where I'm concerned. I this case quite literally- the backs of all those chairs was the barrier in this case.

Which is fine. For the past couple of days (because you know I'm liable to change my feelings on this one in the future, hence the proviso) I've been thinking that I just naturally am inclined to feel on my own. I can intellectually tell myself otherwise, but (again, at the moment) I think I have to also be aware that that is how I'm inclined, for good or ill. If it's ill, which I think is very likely, then I'll have to fight against that feeling- and I think everyone will agree it's nearly impossible to fight against an enemy that we don't acknowledge exists.

Or to put it in simpler terms, admitting a problem is the first step to beating it.

Two little kids, I'm guessing about 6 and 4 or thereabouts, approached me on the subway when they saw I was playing pokemon. They were plenty excited, sweet little dudes. The older one has apparently got four pokemon trained to level 100.

I'm glad he wasn't an older kid, 'cause then that'd be an absurd waste of time ("I'm sorry, Isaac- HOW many trained Blastoise do you have? Really?!? That's a large number! Maybe you aren't the best pot to talk to that kettle..")

And then my bro got me to watch the first two episodes of My Little Pony. So that happened. I kept calling the main character "Rainbow Bright" (different series), and the one other I called "Magic-purple-crystal-purple" or some combination of words like that. I mixed it up a lot, but Jordan knew who I was talking about. I called "Apple Jacks" "Apple Jacks" because I was able to remember that one.

Unless it's "Apple-" something else and I completely have it wrong. That's very possible.

Oh, how'd I like thew show? It's coo, whatevs. The theme song should've cut back on the retro theme before it switches to the slightly rockin' new theme. I very nearly walked away because of the retro bit in all of its fluffy, high-toned, commercializin' glory. Then it got better.

Already written way more than I intended I think. I was supposed to be sleeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment