Saturday, February 25, 2012

I need to grab a copy of Star Trek II

So today I decided to stay in bed and miss out on our Dungeons and Dragons afternoon. I clearly hadn't made my intention obvious to my twin brother, who called me up at 4pm to ask where I was.

I was in the exact same place since you last saw me at 2. Or maybe it was 3, I'm not sure, I was trying to sleep!

Hopefully my absence didn't disappoint the fellas to any great degree. Maybe Jordan (my twin) got to enjoy an afternoon without my constant catch phrase "You're doing it wrong!" (That's an in-joke for the D&D group, that was the line Steve gave when he was impersonating me or something. Well, whatever the reason, it was hilarious. Wait, I think I mentioned this before...)

When people finally regrouped here at home we had our big fire and green poke fight... and I got slaughtered! >:(

All I had my fingers crossed for was to not have a fighting pokemon show up at the beginning, but that was apparently too much to ask for.

The real problem though is the fact that when you lose two guys at once (which !@#$% happened to me MULTIPLE times) there's some system in place where you have to do... a thing... to get the next group up there. And I can never remember that thing, and it's incredibly frustrating to keep running into that problem.

My youngest brother tried to explain how the system works (no, not explain in quick terms how to navigate the desired effect, but just "explain the system").

Greatly frustrated the THIRD OR FOURTH TIME THIS HAPPENED TO ME, I said this was a very un-intuitive system.

My youngest brother again: "Is it? Or do you just not get it? (Proceeds to "explain the system" exactly as he had done not five minutes earlier.)"

Unhelpful to the extreme. Beyond unhelpful, insulting.

"No no, of course it's intuitive, it must be because I say so. The problem YOU (Isaac) have is that you're an idiot."

Oh, that's funny, I don't USUALLY have my intelligence insulted, but there it is. I have trouble with this thing, I've met other people that have had trouble with this thing, but it's not because it's unintuitive- oh, no, quite the contrary! In this instance, occam's razor would have it that I'm just an idiot!

So obvious, why didn't I think of that?!?

While I'm having this little freakout, I get looks along the lines of "oh, there goes Isaac, having another of his poor sportsman-like fits, let us roll our eyes at him."

Yeah, like that doesn't further incense me. Let's just wholly delegitimize my frustration.

...

Uh, so yeah, I just, uh, needed to vent a little.

You know, I actually have a reputation for patience, but as far as these guys go, to quote from The Wrath of Khan (possibly also in part from Moby Dick): "He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!"

Maybe that doesn't actually fit here, I'm not chasing anyone. In my defence, when I was googling the quote, I thought it was "He TESTS me.."

No comments:

Post a Comment