Monday, February 20, 2012

Family Day and Patrick

Would rather talk Doctor Who, but did you know it's Family Day?

Or didn't you care? Me neither.

Friend of mine has had a loooong facebook exchange with someone over the value of "Family Day". Often I'll think this guy goes too far in stating a case, but I'm surprised at how straightforward this argument is... and at the same time the degree to which he's getting argued back against.

There are bunches of times when it makes sense... but over "Family Day"? I guess it's easier when I agree with the anti-(subject) sentiment this time around.

I prefer a holiday to have a reason to exist beyond just "we're tired and need a break from work!"

Keep in mind, "we're tired and need a break from work" is a plenty good enough reason for a statutory holiday. But if that's all it is, then maybe we should call a spade a spade and call it "Statutory Holiday" Day!

Or maybe admit that having people work a jillion hours a week is unsustainable?

It's crazy that we have so many people that do nothing but work, and then we have tons of people without a job at all. Wait, I can totally find an image of this, give me a sec... okay, they didn't have what I wanted, BUT that just means I got to invent it!

Hmm, doesn't seem to want to appear here... well, it's a "Push it somewhere else Patrick" picture saying
"Let's take all the over time hours that people work"
*beat*
"And employ everyone!"

Huh, I just got deja vu... but like fractal deja vu, where I'm getting deja vu about getting deja vu. Weird. Anyways, you can see the picture (probably) at this link: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/368elz/

No comments:

Post a Comment