Saturday, August 27, 2011

Guards behaving badly.

I felt kinda sick last night, but that was just an effect of going to the FanExpo on very little sleep after a full nights work. I expected it, but I am feeling better now. I'll write here, brush my teeth, and hop back into bed.

I want to be careful I don't end up repeating myself here about stuff at the con when I do have to do my official write up for the mondo site, but I can definitely tell you about this:

So I leave the main building yesterday to try and find a place to purchase a ticket for my friend for Sunday. Just outside the doors was an old friend from my Ontario Place days with, I assume, her same sex partner. She really is a bit of an older lady, but super nice, and of course very enthused about science fiction, comics- con stuff!

I had some free time before the next panel I wanted to attend, so I was glad to chat for a bit about how things were going, and the expo, you know, what you'd say in that kind of whatdya call it- social interaction, when this security guard comes over to try and get us to move along.

I took this as my cue to exit, so we started winding our way to our good byes, but the guard just became more exhasperated that we hadn't zipped off right away.

We say "we're going"

She says we've been standing here for quite some time. Which, while potentially an astute observation, uh, isn't a crime. There weren't any no loitering signs around or anything. There wasn't even a crowd.

It's a fire exit.
Okay, again, no signage and if you'd stop interrupting us we'd be gone by now.

Listen, my supervisors here now...
AHA. So what you're really saying is that you were supposed to keep this lane cleared, couldn't be bothered to politely inform us of this earlier, but when your boss shows up you're a bit skittish.

And the guard (something around the 40 year old mark herself) says to my friend "don't be a bitch"

I could count the number of times on one hand how often I'd used that word myself (uh, probably all those times I was reading something aloud. So I don't even really count that.) but I was more than ready to point out to the guard what she'd called my friend with zero provocation.

At this point my friend does become a little needlessly provocative, sort of railing against authority figures by rote, but at this point I can hardly blame her.

The guard insists she didn't call my friend a name whatsoever... even IF the three people who heard her (including myself) had all heard wrong, maybe she said "witch?", regardless, she called someone a name while in the course of her duties. Obviously, that's unacceptable.

Ah, after spending this time laying out the situation, I bet you're wondering whether there's any comeupance for the guard, whether I've got a great ending for this tale... uh, no. Sorry. Heh, whoops. We parted ways and I hit the con back up for my next panel, but not before a quick departing hug from my friend, and then also a hug from her hulking partner I had just met. I was definitely not expecting that.

No comments:

Post a Comment