Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Get your hands off me. Oh, your hands weren't on me? My mistake.

I really need a couple more hours of rest before work, but I'm just not falling back to sleep.

I keep thinking about the relative merits of Cowboys and Aliens, as well as Rise of the Planet of the Apes (went to see them both yesterday).

And I was thinking about what I would say to Dan Didio, head of DC comics, if I could talk to him one on one, without him having to be on stage in a bombastic salesman persona.

And then there's the rioting in London. Feels like most places are only a step away from rioting these days. I know the rich really don't want to be taxed, but maybe they should quit antagonizing the proletariat? *cough*french revolution*cough*

And as much as I hate that those rioters are breaking into stores to steal- you realize they've pretty much been brainwashed to believe they'll only be happy with stuff, right? More stuff than they can afford.

Hey, where's my opiate? Us masses need our opiate!

I was talking about this yesterday- there're dumb stories that are just meant to entertain... and I guess tacitly also to placate us, and then there're stories with that touch of the revolutionary.

Cowboys and Aliens doesn't concern itself with the plight of women in its society (the only woman to take part in the awesomeness did turn out to be an alien- and before THAT was revealed she was still only grudgingly brought with the posse because... they didn't really care), and all of the giant enemy aliens are painted with the same uniform "evil" brush. Maybe they were a hive mind? Then I'd be okay with it.

But hold on, I don't want to sound as if these are really big issues: I get the people who really don't like when these things fail to be addressed, but I'm not going to hold it against the creators if they don't want to talk about that stuff.

They wanted black and white morality, a straightforward story, fun blowy up stuff, posses, cowboys and indians, gold in them thar hills. And all that's awesome!

Is there a message to the movie? Technically there's the "teamwork will save the day" but it's just fun.

Planet of the Apes is all about sacrifice, growing up, revolution. It's pretty great for that. And there are a lot of affecting parts (a couple of deaths) that don't drain me emotionally like your "Up"s or "Toy Story"s- which is great, 'cause I'm more likely to watch Apes again for that.

I'm going to try and get back to sleep for a couple of hours, but I wanted to mention this: when the orangutang (er, I think that's what it is, I'm no primate-ologist) shows up and the audience is laughing at it-- because it's funny lookin'! It's different than us humans! Ho ho ho...

Guys, are you aware of what movie you're watching? You know that guy is going to "Rise" and depose you, precisely because the humans underestimate and judge by appearance? Also, the apes can be thought of as an oppressed class that up until the mass awakening that takes place in the movie (thanks to science!) were happy chilling out, maybe watching a movie? I'm saying you, in the theatre, are the ape.

You're laughing at yourself.

Tis truly a madhouse. A madhouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment