Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Listen to them! They're dying- curse my metal body!

I've come up with the title first for once- it's an anthem of pain, which I am currently feeling.

My baaack My baaaack!!!

9 hours of standing is a lot of hours of standing. Maybe you weren't aware.

A guard with (presumably) more experience was sick, so I was suddenly in charge of dudes for today and yesterday at the Fairview mall. Naturally this meant staying late and taking my breaks after my subordinates, because that's what Optimus Prime would do after all.

As I've just mentioned to someone on the facebook (of course there I was just stretching for something to talk about) I spent a fair chunk of today stretching my mind trying to remember the author of To the Lighthouse. I'm disappointed I had to use the google when I got home. Virgian Woolf.

Of course.

All I could think of was Emily Dickinson-- she's so enveloped my brain it's no surprise I couldn't find another name in there. If Sylvia Plath wasn't so obviously not it, I could probably have thought of her as well.

Got two calls for job interviews today, I had to decline the one happening tomorrow as I'm ostensibly working, but the monday one is good to go- for a concierge job at yonge and sheppard which would be AMAZING.

Listen, I don't get bored easily, I'm happy to let my mind wander, but this standing around's for the birds (wait, that's not right...). Give me a chair for even half the time I've been working, and everything's gravy.

And a radio is even better.

And a book is even better still.

Paper and pen for creative stuff.

Make it a sunny day where I'm half hanging out of a booth, but not worried about sunburn because I've got sunscreen or I'm just hiding in the shade, and I don't have to deal with any people... okay, now I'm just daydreaming about my better days in the parking booth.

They rarely let me have a book though... but I did do a lot of great work on my comic in that booth.

Okay, enough with this past stuff. Past schmast.

So! Finish this week of work (AUGH I've been working since Friday... and it's only Tuesday! Unless my shifts get cancelled I'll be doing this standing stuff through to Saturday), get better gig, hopefully this one I'm interviewing for- sounded like one of those two days of twelve hours on the weekend. Find another twleve hours spread out over the rest of the week, and I'm plenty happy with 36 hours of work.

Leaving me with plenty of time to maybe volunteer at thinkgeek toronto (I've been wanting to do that for months now), go to the gym, take a cooking class, SOMETHING.

Yup, I'm an ambitious guy, just not in the "make money, rule the world" kind of way.

Maybe later.

No comments:

Post a Comment