Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Unintentional help

Been wasting away these past few days. It'd be fine if it weren't the 8th of March.

At this point, if you were to tell me that tomorrow would be January 1st 2012, I'd have to at least consider that you were telling the truth.

My Grandpa just had, as I understand it, fairly major surgery today. I was supposed to sign a card, which I did, and I guess that was a good thing? I'm just frustrated- I feel like I've got very little to actually offer to help here. I tried to write something light, fun, distracting; while my brothers are practically eulogizing on their part of paper. Like that's reassuring.

I've been constructing in my head a stand up set/routine (I'm talking comedy, if 'stand up' isn't indicative of what I'm talking about to the community at large). I've been going to various comedy shows for years, and I don't think I suck at hearing the rhythm of the performances. Hearing what works, asking why it does, sort of working out the comedy formula.

I know that sounds terrible, mechanical. When I was little and taking piano I'd be accused of just playing the notes, not FEELING the music. Or something. Which was unfortunate- maybe if I was allowed to enjoy playing, without worrying about some ineffable quality, I would have kept at it.

Then again, I never practiced. So there's that.

Anyways, I've got a couple of jokes, but what I'm mostly thinking about is fitting everything together into a cohesive performance that compliments my character. What about me is naturally funny? I've got some ideas, but yes, I'm still working on it.

Also, it's figuring out how to make it funny to an audience- I have no intention of making people squirm in an attempt at a meta Andy Kaufman-esque joke, just because I'd laugh. You've gotta be either REALLY good to do that, or ridiculously arrogant to think you can get away with that.

I mentioned this to my friend who hosts a weekly comedy show, and he sounded really happy and enthused about the whole idea. It was really nice to somehow make someone happy without even trying. And surprising, especially in how his tone of voice just struck me differently than normal.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope everything works out okay.

    You should definitely be psyched about a stand-up routine. You have the capacity to work that adorable-awkwardness that is both effective and charming in comedians. Do it! Plus your jokes are always quirky and good.

    word verification was "pingsad" - interesting.

    ReplyDelete