Saturday, June 12, 2010

What is the Catch? Isaac old boy, as far as titles go- you're terrible at them.

Here I am, enjoying a saturday off from work. What have I done with myself?

Well, I just finished an article for steelbananas.com!... so we'll see if they use it. They didn't use my last one, but I wasn't entirely a fan of it either- it was really rushed and plain sub standard.

I'm really quite pleased with this one though, it got some chuckles from my proof reading brothers but... when it's all said and done, I've written this article before.

Not really, of course, but when I sit down and think about what it's trying to say, yeah, it's the same as a previous article, just using a different example to illustrate the thesis. Not really a big deal, and it's interesting that it just reveals how that is a topic that is apparently something I notice (consistent characterization, to be specific). I'll keep it in mind.

The consensus was that I just kind of ended it, and needed a conclusion. I'm bad at conclusions. My bros are all "well, tell us what happens at the end of the story!" and I'm all "but spoilers!"

So (spoiler alert) I wrote a concluding sentence. It's not bad; fits in with the tone of the piece while also revealing some of what happens in the story I was talking about.

I managed to be pretty ashamed of myself the other day- being dumb I almost really hurt myself. I didn't get hurt at all, the slightest of scrapes that I can't even see anymore notwithstanding, but if I had been a little slower, or a little less strong, or a little less squirmy- a little less lucky, basically, and I'm sure I could've broken my arm. It was scary- and as ever, it's weird that it's just me to kick myself about it. Don't worry, I kick really hard.

Someone at work got a promotion, she's now at the same level as myself, and in part it's due to my positive reference- ah she was so happy to get it, it's pretty awesome. I got to go about doing some mundane activity and think about her being happy, and it makes me happy too. It'll be a helpful memory. But I don't envy those that had to go through just over 60 applications to the position- that's a lot of people to disappoint.

There was a sort of 'supervisor dinner' yesterday after work- I arrived an hour late due my various duties needing completion (of course) but I'm still trying to decide whether my awesomely running to Union station from work was a delaying tactic, or genuinely faster. There definitely weren't any street cars that caught up to me along the 509 route, but I could have quickly run north a few streets and gotten a better performing bus. It was a really fun run though- too bad about the sweating thing. I'm always wondering whether I'll show up to something after a run and the people will turn me away for being riffraff. Hasn't happened yet..

I've finally started reading Catch-22 (by Joseph Heller- so I don't forget), but I've been taking my sweet time about it. It's a good read, so full of contradictions (or Catch-22's) that I'd love to see someone read it who could only take the words at face value who would have zero clue what was going on. Well, I'd love it for a minute anyway.
The way it's told has each chapter about a different person, and so there's a very familiar structure to each chapter that any one could simply be a short story to itself. After being away from the book for a week I saw I was only on page 100, and thought it was weird that I wasn't done.

Didn't write this in my notebook, just reverted to jotting down on my scrap bookmark- but Catch-22 makes reference to deja vu (which we're all familiar with) but also jamais vu and presque vu- both of which I'd never heard of, but are, if I understand it right:
- a moment of striking unfamiliarity, as when you see something that should be familiar to you, that you know you've seen again and again yet sticks out this time as somehow wrong. This happens with spelling a lot, to me anyways.
- and the other is that exhilarating moment when you feel just a hairsbreadth away from a sublime realization.

That's what I take those two words to mean, based on the definition in the book and how that sounded to me- I'd hate to look it up and see I'm wrong somehow, because I like the way I've got it figured- even though I wouldn't remember the words themselves if I wasn't looking at them.

Okay, that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment