Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Patent pending patent pending patent pending"- Homer Simpson (I think)

Just returned from Toy Story 3- it's pretty amazing that I have only seen the original a handful of times (aside from Star Wars and the Back to the Future movies, how many movies do we re-watch a whole lot of?) but the running gag of "Ooh- The claw!" or "Reach for the sky!" and I'm completely into it, I've completely appropriated the film as important to my own past.

Could be I've just been manipulated by the film, but if so: bravo.

Ah it was so gorgeous. I'm on the verge of leaving a spoiler warning and explaining the part at the end... oh the part! I've heard that many have called the movie "sad", but I think that's an example of a limited range of thinking/explaining.

The part I'm thinking of is more bittersweet- I'm not sure there's a more appropriate word to encapsulate the feelings of poignant wistfulness and nostalgia, inevitability, and hilarious connection.
Whatever word it is, it means the same as "laughing-out-loud-while-on-the-verge-of-tears". So you know, that hypothetical word has some range to it.

I've got to not stay up too much longer, I've got work all day tomorrow, but I'm short changing Toy Story in stopping here.

I love how everyone's like "See you around, Cowboy" to Woody. I've got to write a cowboy story sometime.

Actually, there's one story I've had in my head for a number of years now, why don't I talk about it now for a bit? That would actually be a pretty fun post before I go to bed.

The origin of it was that I wanted to have an adventure starring a cowboy, and samurai, and a knight all together- so it would necessarily be an amalgamated, anachronistic world setting. I had heard (probably an apocryphal tale) of an excursion a bunch of samurai made to visit the Pope, and after coming all that way were turned away, I guess for being foreigners. So the way I've got it figured, that's how my samurai would meet my knight, with his travelling to that neck of the woods. After that they end up with a kid (boy, rather) who travels with them. We'd follow them over a series of adventures, as the time moves ahead, the boy grows up, and there's a passing of the torch between one heroic tradition of the eastern past to that of the western future.

So, yeah, this is just something I've thought a bit of over the years, there isn't even a villain or whatever is the impetus to keep this trio together forever. Something makes them a surrogate family to each other, but I haven't worked it out at all. At all.

It's hard to feel bad considering how much detail exists in my comic book story. I'm sorry Straight Arrow! Maybe I won't kill you off in the hypothetical climax of issue #9 or #10! Ah you're such an awesome guy. You know he has the ability to intrinsically know how to do something he wants to do, and whether or not it's possible for him to do it? He's basically a kind of explanation for why comic book heroes are so sure of themselves on slippery roof tops, and have incredible aim, and whatnot- so then here he is, some kind of doomsday device is about to go off, it would kill millions, and even though he has the books main cast all around him for help, because of his ability he can instantly KNOW that any scenario would result in failure, except for the one where he pushes himself past his limits to save the day, and he dies after saving everyone.

Oh that's right, I had also been considering the possibility of an alternate ending where he survives, thus disproving his ability, and edging away from any the "it was fated to be thus" type of thing. Even though I've specifically designed Straight Arrow to not be a precognition guy (how do you like that- typing precognition twice in two days! Wait, was that yesterday? I've lost track of time.) but a... I guess I'll say advanced computer for brevities sake (I do have to go to bed ten minutes ago) but saying computer in connection to this guy gives the exact wrong kind of feeling. It's more like supremely justified confidence, halted only by the the physically impossible.

Anyway, he's a cool guy that isn't a main character/villain. That was my point, that I've got some of those, just not in the Cowboy/Knight/Samurai thing.

Okay, bed time, see you tomorrow/today for #11!

No comments:

Post a Comment