Monday, June 28, 2010

Mike, this is why I don't tell more people I write here.

I've got a new bank account, and so as anticipated I did not get my previous paycheck directly deposited. It's really frustrating. I gave them my new banking information and I ask: So, I won't have any problems now, right? It's all set up?

"You're good."

So fine, I call the day after I was supposed to get paid- "yes, we were just going to call you..."

So today (waiting the weekend, because obviously the payroll department isn't open weekends) I call to see if I can pick up my check. I'm just making sure they're available this hour, I didn't even think not getting a check today was a possibility.

I planned ahead for the chance of not getting my paycheck, but it's looking more and more likely that I will end up waiting an extra week.

Metropass...

***

Finally seeing more of the pro protesters side of things on facebook, but overall the tone is anti protester.
On either side arguments still boil down to one word against the others, of course I say that as though there's something for either position to "prove". Even if you could prove an opinion (whether police were too harsh or not, for example, is dependent on the frame of reference- of which there were hundreds of separate frames of reference taking place over the weekend) I don't trust any of the evidence.
Pictures lie, unsurprisingly enough, but worse still- I have yet to be surprised by the reactions of anyone who has commented on the weekend. People had their minds made up about what would happen over the 26th-27th weekend on the 25th.

It's hard to take their opinions seriously when they play at being precognitive.

That previous sentence sounds a little too sound bite-y in my ears, but I'll keep it, because how often do I get to write "precognition"?

Another thing of it is, I want to be one of the cool kids, all "down with the man" and whatnot, but I can't cry foul over 32 dudes crammed in detention with no phone calls for 17 hours- those are the simple logistics of holding, what was the number quoted today, 600 people? Say they did give you a phone call, each person gets a phone call one after the other- person #327 would be about to get time for their call as the whole lot of them are released.

"Hey Isaac, they could all be allowed to use their own cell phones!"

Because I'm sure people feel they have a right to cell phones.

***

Arzdklhfgz;dlknbh;KBGH

Listen.

If it were the case that a whole bunch of my friends/acquaintances decided to read my blog today I would get a bunch of people thinking- hey, Isaac rocks, because he's pro police against those hippies, and then another bunch would be thinking- woah, Isaac sucks because he's not commited to the cause...

Well you know what? I'm not either one of those things. I'm not a font of cash for police riot gear, nor a pair of hands to hold up a sign.

I make dumb jokes (they're clever to me).
I like pineapple pizza.
I like that feeling when you're not feeling tight and it's just the right degree of coolness outside and you could run forever.
I hold onto my garbage until I find a trash bin for it- even when it's just gum.
I like Donatello because he's smart and sensitive and doesn't mind that the other turtles are better than him at ninjitsu- and I like Raphael because he's awesome.
I like that various people have called me "a trooper".
I like when someone cute is obviously checking me out (rare situation).
"I'm Luke Skywalker- I'm here to rescue you!" I like that line.
I like that little bit of awkwardness that comes when you're with someone and they're being careful with what they say, because they want to sound cool or smart to you- because it means they care what you think.
In that same vein- I like when you can just say whatever, and be accepted regardless of what you say, because you're friends.
I like Bruce Willis and Michael J. Fox.
I like the leather jacketed, sunglasses wearing Superboy that wants to grow up to be Superman, even if that does mean wearing the lame underwear over the tights.
I like Ben Reilly Spider-Man- who had all the troubles of Spider-Man classic, but none of the support system, and had to be even more bright and determined because of it.

Okay, that's enough of that.
Ah people are dumb.
As ever, I thoroughly enjoy the hiding in plain site that is this blog (you see what I did there with site, see, is it should be "sight" but... yeah, okay, you get it.).

I finally finished Catch-22, it's past due at the library, so I'll try and talk about it tomorrow or something before I forget all about it. I didn't take notes this time, so we'll see what happens.

2 comments:

  1. I really really like you and think you are great.
    I've greatly appreciated your past three posts - some of the only intelligent and non-extreme commentary I've seen about the issue.
    Any time I read anything more I just sigh "people are dumb - except Isaac"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy macaroni that was a nice thing to say, thanks for making me smile.

    I like Kristen, too.

    ReplyDelete