Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"We are cursed mice"

I'm finally taking a moment to watch some Pinky and the Brain that I got from my brother last month. Hence the title.


The end of May saw the release of the latest Invincible trade paperback, volume 12 "Still Standing"- all the trade titles are taken from sitcoms like volume 1 "Family Matters" or volume 7 "Three's Company" and volume 10 "Who's the Boss?" I hadn't ever put that together until the other day, so I'm still kind of blown away by that.

I didn't have the cash at the time, so I couldn't pick it up until now- I thought I'd buy it specifically from a friend that has recently gotten hired at a comic store in the beaches somewhere, but it seems his store doesn't have it.


Ah, but what is Invincible? First of all, it's a book that I keep wanting to spell "Invinciple" so that's slowing me down here... but FAR more important: Invincible is published by Image comics, written by Robert Kirkman with art by Ryan Ottley- the story follows a comic loving average teen that finally grows into his own powers. Oh yeah, his dad was basically Superman in the book (Omni-Man). It's pretty lighthearted stuff, until it turns out Omni-Man is an agent for an alien society working towards galactic domination. The story ensues.


It's a story very aware of comic conventions, so it's often in the style of what I like to write- but it can still be written a bit on the simple side. It's charming and invigorating; everytime I get a new trade to read it sparks my comic writing desire.


Since my friends store didn't have it, I stopped by Million Comics at Yonge and Wellesley to get it, but nothing doing. The earliest they'll get more is in ten days, so rather than place an order there I'll keep my eyes open for a copy.


I've also been keeping my eyes open for my favourite piece of graffiti in the city- I had seen it somewhere along Bathurst street and then there was the first location near my friends old apartment at Bay and Wellesley.


I don't travel along either street as much as I used to- I now take Dufferin to work and my friend moved, but I've wanted to get a picture of this street art to share for quite sometime. It was a month ago that I went out of my way to search Bathurst street, but couldn't see a sign of it.


Yesterday, seeing as I was over at Million Comics I walked to the other block to try and get the image. But it wasn't there. Best case scenario it's only covered by impermanent posters, but it's likely it's been painted over.


As ever, the prospect that the image only now exists as an imperfect memory is a let down. Short of an actual photograph, here's a quick paint program version from how I remember it in my head:

2 comments:

  1. An imperfect memory can be a beautiful thing; however as you said it would be a let down...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/84712063@N00/3381235590/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbcurio/3339795763/

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mbiscan/4598494725/

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy macaroni that's awesome, thanks so much Cool Geoff

    ReplyDelete