Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 9th, 2016

March 9th, 2016

1:59 pm on the 14th, talking about the 8th.

Today was my overtime shift over at Qingniwaqiao Web, and as I was leaving there was a red tape/ribbon/line across the door. I didn't take the time to see what was up- the door is often busted, maybe it was getting fixed, maybe someone tried to break in, whatever, I've got work to do, so I immediately hung a right because that's where the two guys in front of me went. Maybe I DID spend some time looking at this door situation, because I turned after these guys but they were nowhere to be seen. I passed through a curtain- hey! the stairwell! That's good to know- then through another door and/or curtain (I forget) and out I popped... into the grocery store connected to this building. WHAT. Is that even allowed? That seems like terrible security for a store. I awkwardly made my way to the exit of the grocery store.

I crossed the street and what was chilling out in front of the restaurants there? Why, a surprise chicken and a couple of outside geese walking around. I'm sure they're there for ambiance and will enjoy a long life.

Subway'd out to Qingniwaqiao where I arrived to British old man Chris giving Tyler, in charge of the teachers at this Web location, a stern talking to about how someone keeps using old paper in the new photocopier (they've upgraded) and it keeps jamming the thing up and wasting time, and would you please put up a Chinese and English sign so this wouldn't happen again in the future- and there's Tyler just sitting there with this blank expression on his face, he is not there at the moment, he's definitely checked out, and I just look at him and I mouth "SAY YES" while nodding. So Tyler says "yes" and I hope Chris didn't see my participation. It was more than slightly awkward to walk in on that- not to indulge my penchant for tone policing, but Chris had a reasonable request, I think Tyler couldn't hear it over the angry tone used.

It was absolutely bizarre how checked out Tyler was for that exchange. Besides yelling at Chris, Tyler chose the next best method to escalate the conversation.

Once my presence was acknowledged and I walked through the scene to get my lesson plans and schedule for the day I changed the subject as quick as possible to what Chris's English Corner was about today. Some sort of question and answer thing, I don't know, who cares, I was just changing the subject, breaking the tension to the best of my ability.

I took the time before my first class started to get out of there and grab some chicken at Victory Plaza- I took a different way back to Web, which is pretty dangerous in that I could get back to late if I mess up. It turned out alright. Man, it was very cold that day, I remember I did not dress appropriately for the weather- it was fine because I just subway'd to Web and back, but right here when I had some chicken outside, that was mighty cold. I walked by some kind of sweet shop and bought these little square cookie things that were very good but very bad for my digestion and surely my waistline. Aw yeah impulse purchases!

I brought the cookies back to Web and tucked them away in a drawer, offering Chris one. We had a conversation about Lydian and how she was adverse to food at the work station. I was aware- hence the whole "tucked them away in a drawer" thing.

For my first class I was informed that my student, Kitty, would be leaving early, and would I please mark her as attended but refer her, as opposed to passing her. Sure, no problem. Oh, thank you so much for understanding- this is coming from both Kitty and her native tutor. I completely don't care if you have to leave early, but sure, thank me, why not.

Kitty leaving actually evened up the teams for the board game we were playing- I've taught this class twice before, but I believe I actually taught it correctly this time, so that's a plus.

Then I had a Dyned City class- drawing that map of Dyned City, a classic, with Peng, Cleo, and Sunny, followed by a beginner class with Mandy and Darren on numbers and time. This beginner class was interesting in that the subject material was too easy for Mandy, but too difficult for Darren. In retrospect maybe I could have done something about this, like refer Darren and maybe talk to someone about boosting Mandy a level? Hmm, welp, whatever.

I left to explore the mall, wanting to eat the same thing I had last time I was here with Bradley. I didn't climb up the usual path to get to that top floor food "Marche", instead I climbed a wooden spiral staircase that went up a floor, then walked across a wooden bridge like I was at a playground, before finding myself at a Tom's... uh, whatever the place is called. Tom's something. Tom's World? maybe. It's like Chuck E. Cheese. I saw a duo on one of those dance pad games, very slick, very co-ordinated. In short it took most of forever to find the food court today, despite the fact that I've been there twice before.

And then I didn't recognize where I got that food with Bradley before! So scratch that. I ended up with essentially the same kind of stuff I usually get at Food Bazzar, plus I sprung for a fountain juice drink of some kind which I usually avoid. Tasty though.

I returned for my English Corner, which I super cheaped out on. The previous day I asked the creators of "The Urbane Explorer" videos on youtube if I could show their stuff in my class- no, I'm not a good person, I just know them and didn't want to take from THEM without asking- and they said yes, so I showed three of those videos, asked some nominal questions between each video, and that was that. The videos don't have subtitles, and I didn't want to constantly stop the videos every minute to explain so, uh, I didn't. It was a decently good time, and the class was very interested in the "Toronto Iceland" video to see Toronto in the winter.

Augh, man, how long would I have to sit here writing before my foot dropped right off? Ah ah, pins and needles pins and needles... okay, okay

The last class was whatever.

On the subway ride home I met this American, Dan- friendly, good looking, and teaches English for engineers at a school near Roosevelt. Obviously I felt thoroughly inadequate. He gave me his phone number and invited me to go to a Chinese speakers corner sometime. I haven't heard from him since. Maybe my "argh, I shake my fist at you because you're American and I'm Canadian, thus we are enemies" bit didn't go over as well as I thought?


I doubt it- we all know that bit is hilarious. - 2:49 pm

3 comments:

  1. The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information. And do not forget my friends visit my website :) thank you


    Obat Polip Lambung Herbal
    Obat Mioma Uteri Di Apotik
    Obat Sakit Pinggang Di Apotik
    Obat Maag Saat Berpuasa
    Obat Tradisional Gerd
    Obat Penyubur Kandungan
    Cara Menyembuhkan Kanker Darah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so interesting and useful updates.we are offering 100% accurate mcx tips are Mcx Trading Tips, Free Mcx Tips Trial, Free Intraday Trading Tips, Silver Updates, Commodity Tips Free Trial, Intraday Trading Tips Free Trial and Commodity Tips Free Trial On Mobile with 85-90% guaranteed accuracy.

    ReplyDelete