Tuesday, March 1, 2016

February 21st, 2016

February 21st, 2016

(Time sensitive Editor's note: Guess not... you can do it Isaac! -G)
9:27 am on the 24th, talking about the 20th

Okay, first class- intermediate level 1 with Tyler, Monica and Jim. Jim is a new student (maybe Monica is as well, I don't recall) I met the day before as he left the center after enrolling in classes. Skinny, great smile, glasses. I'd cast him in a heart beat for a Chinese version of Order the Pheonix or above... I seem to be blanking on the later movies. Half-Blood Prince. Uh, the disappointing ending movie duology. Uuuuh Harry Potter and the Last Crusade. There, nailed it, vastly improved.

This class requires you to remember a story from the computer- though I remind them the story is less important (far less important) than giving me correct sentences- Tyler had done the courseware a week ago, Jim, the day before- Monica had done it a month ago! But three guesses who remembered the most of the courseware- yeah, Monica did, very impressive.

Next was a class about "Life Changes"- it was just about conversations for when you meet someone after some time and their life is different then it was. In the class we had Andrea (who I can't remember at all, I'm just going off my notes), a guy named Sunny (usually those are women), Mandy, Kee kee, a new student named Zora who was a little shy, but very sharp- and Galaxy! I gave Galaxy a gentle reprimand for her little prank on Harry the previous day.

The first activity had the students pair up and imagine what happened to some fictional people in the future after the circumstances listed on the paper. Galaxy and her partner were coming up with "got cancer" and, for the woman that was expecting her first child, in the future she had "no child". I said wow, dark, and Galaxy assured me that it wasn't her partners idea, these were all from herself. I told her I pretty much had that figured out already.

Two hour break, no notes written down. Moving on.

I had a salon class with Johnson, Rachel, James, Queena, Meggie, Bill (I love Bill, what a cute kid), Mars, Sunny (one of the older Sunnys), Belinda, and Cindy... I'm TRYING to remember what we talking about this class, I didn't write the name of it down... I would just give up, but I remember James asking me a particular question, the remembrance of which I feel is the key to unlocking the whole thing... he was asking me... how to say something... in English... which describes basically every single class here ever. Okay, I give up.

An hour break, which I spent watching Adeel give an English Corner on Speed Dating- that's right, he asked if anyone had ever tried it and I mentioned having a go at Fanexpo. He was surprised, which I took as a compliment. He backed off his premise a bit to the less pressure "speed friending" but a LOT of the guys in class just chatted with each other. Adeel and I exchanged looks like, come on guys.

I had a beginner class with Andy, David, and Dobby- Dobby is the young girl that had been hanging around Dany a bit, and was apparently friends with Steve, quite young himself. We talked about schedules, and just barely got through the lesson before the end of the hour.

Finally I had a private intermediate business class with Bradley and Amy- Bradley forgot about the homework, but that was fine- we talked about Time-Warner on Amy's side, and then Bardley talked about these two models of popular airplane, the first could carry upwards of 800+ people, and the next one, 400 people with far more fuel efficiency- I said how this made sense, with the timeline of the creation and the travel market around the great recession. Which I got to describe by talking about the Great Depression. So, we mostly just talked. It was a good time.


Those are all my notes! - 9:54 am

No comments:

Post a Comment