Thursday, March 24, 2016

March 4th, 2016

March 4th, 2016

11:01 am on the 10th talking about the 3rd

I wasn't going to write this post right now, I really should go to the grocery store before work starts, but once I looked at my notes I saw, ah, I don't have much to say, so this will be a very short entry.

My first class was with a Sunny, Steven, and Ian doing restaurant reviews. Ian is a weaker student, but he was fairly comfortable with this subject and therefore participated more than usual, which is great.

My English Corner today I finished Act 1 Scene 5 of Hamlet, we only had the ending bit after the Ghost leaves to talk about, and then we started Act 2 Scene 1 (nooo, really? You didn't do Act 4 Scene 2? Yes, yes, obvious, I know) about how Polonius is a fool who has the bright idea to learn about whatever his son is up to by getting his agent to spread lies about Laertes. Additionally, Ophelia talks about Hamlet acting crazy- I got Jasmine to be Ophelia and I walked away from her while keeping eye contact to demonstrate what the play said. Jasmine conceded it was weird.

Then I had a beginner class consisting of Jane, Victoria, Tom #1 and Tom #2. Tom #2 was late, so he had to be #2.

A salon class titled "An English Personality" with two Sunny's, Queena, Zoe, Min, Steven, and Vicky. I forget what the rest of the class was all about, but the warm-up wanted us to tell outrageous lies about ourselves and keep a straight face. Some, Zoe for one, kept a perfectly straight face, but also didn't have very outrageous lies. She could have simply been telling the truth, no good. Far and away, my favourite of the class was Queena, who was able to tell us that she lives on Mars perfectly straight faced. When I commented on how well she was doing she said "because it's true!" so, yes, she was amazing at this.

My last class was about naming different foods with Ailsa, Vicky, and Nina- and I can recall that they had a relatively short list of vegetables. Tsk, tsk people, gotta learn those vegetables.

The last thing of note was how, after all these classes were over, I noticed a new display, a series of teacher profiles on Vicky, Stella, and Kristina. I remembered how Stella asked for some help to come up with a slogan sort of thing on a learning English philosophy for this- I believe I recommended something like "Open ears, open eyes, open mind" which I dare say is pretty good. But as I was reading through these profiles, uh, it was kind of scary the kind of mistakes that were on them. It's just that, you know, I rely on these people to understand me- just how much of what I say is getting lost in translation? Yes, fine, all my jokes, that's okay, years of training has gotten me used to that, but what else?

It isn't really a big deal, I was just a bit startled.


And that was that day. Short, right? Okay, let's get out of here and, I don't know, work hard? Escape to North Korea? Wait, no, scratch that last one, that would be a terrible idea-- besides, I don't need to escape, I'm quite comfortable, thanks very much. - 11:21 am

No comments:

Post a Comment