Sunday, July 10, 2011

Quick note on July first and reading today

I told myself I'd just hop straight to bed when I got home, but I ended up having some breakfast/second dinner and it's hot, and the sunlight has re-energized me way more than the 2am non-light did.

Along the hot lines, I'm like glistening over here. Like Captain Kirk on some planet where shirts are taboo (all of them?).

I should put on a shirt maybe.
Nah, whatever, I'm rockin' it.

It's already the 10th and I haven't posted anything for July. That's probably my worst start to a month ever. The Canada Day happened, and would you believe I had plans, THEN was invited to two separate, mutually exclusive things in addition to that first thing? My first free Canada Day in years (I'd been working them at Ontario Place for the last while, Canada Day always being the big one. I may not have returned to work at that point in 2008 though.

But yes, making up for lost time and capitalizing on my sudden popularity, I mashed two of those three things together, and sent my regrets to the last one.

Fireworks happened. Also ice cream.

Last night I started back on Gravity's Rainbow. I think this'll be my third attempt to read it. My first try I had a library book copy of it, mixed in with a bunch of other library books, and I didn't get to it until it was due back and I couldn't renew it, so I only got fifty pages in.

Then I BOUGHT the book (a really beautiful copy, as far as I'm concerned) but I still kept myself under a constant deluge of library books. Library deadlines being what they are, I got to apge 117 before I had to focus on my library books and lost touch with Pynchon.

Another barrier to my reading the thing was the fact that I didn't want to take the book out of the house with me, fearing the inevitable battle damage it would take in any trips.

Argh, well, I took it to work, and it's ALREADY suffered some battle damage!!

Just a little, but man, I really didn't want that to happen.

Anyways, I was determined to get to serious work on this book, so last night I read through to p.122.

That's a net gain of +5 pages!!

I'm pretty familiar with that opening scene, right after the crazy description of subway travel (I assume that's what it is) where Pirate Prentis goes on about his bananas.

Okay, I'm actually familiar with a lot of what I read last night- I almost didn't want to keep going. I've only ever been introduced to these characters and their world, it's been all set up so far. No real challenges have emerged to be over come. When that DOES happen, people will change, people will die (presumbably from rockets) and it'll be my fault for reading!

I'm sorry Roger Mexico- I hope I don't ruin your relationship with Jessica by continuing the story.

We'll see what happens. (I'm sorry)

No comments:

Post a Comment