Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Captain America!!

Returned from seeing Captain America and it was AMAZING!

The story was so well done- individual moments were fantastic on their own, but then when they go nods to them later, when the scene was mirrored later in the film- fantastic call back.

Like what, for example? How about: the WAY Cap runs after the assassin right after getting his powers is the exact same way he runs outside of the bullding in New York when he's revived in the modern world.

That kind of touch- they didn't need to do that! Ah, incredibly well crafted.

And Chris Evans was dynamite as Cap- even after he's a super hero he still shines through as this good guy. Before and after his transformation, you like this guy. Even when he's suddenly a human dynamo and could make you feel inadequate with a snap of the fingers, he's still a regular guy that ANYONE would be comfortable hanging out with.

Pretty much immediately after being Cap and we go through the admittedly long 'Cap as war bond salesmen' (which was a brilliant use of the character) Cap is running around in a cheapo version of his uniform... and it's still more believable than any outfit Cap has worn in any of his earlier 90's live action films.

It just goes to show, these suits don't HAVE to be that hard. "Oh no, we can't get this rubber suit to look good on our super hero!"

Well, what if you didn't use rubber? Guys?

Seriously, for old school Batman- a bat symbol on a form fitting grey sweater and boom you've got a better than decent batsuit.

And people always go either flimsy cloth cape or full on (again) rubber thing.

Something like a theatre curtain would probably work best... hmm, that may be too heavy as well. I'm just spitballing here.

But yeah, Captain America is running around in a low rent suit, rescues Bucky, has a skirmish with the Red Skull as the building they're in is blowing up... I thought the movie was ending! I thought I'd just misremembered the suit that actually shows up in the movie (because I guess I'm crazy) and I was completely satisfied.

I'm good with this movie. I want more, but I'm good.

What's that? You say this is only about the half way point? That there's a ton more awesomeness left for me to watch??

I highly recommend this film. Was that clear? Watch this movie.

DC- you better be taking SERIOUS notes on how these things work. Or I guess Warner Brothers. But still. Do better. Like this, more of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment