Sunday, August 29, 2010

An eternity of fanexpo. that was this weekends reality.

Entirely unfair- I'm going to have to make separate posts on the same day if I'm going to get to my number when I've been writing all weekend long.

I actually took a lot of notes at the Fanexpo so I could feel all professional and whatnot- I didn't take nearly this many notes in university.
Not entirely true- during the comics and cartoons course (about the only course that I would never EVER need notes for) I helped a guy out by taking notes for him. I never really got any feedback about whether or not they were useful, but I was just trying to help out.
Aha, but I still got away without having to buy the course kit for that class- again, because as far is it goes, I knew everything in there already. But anyway, that was a couple of years ago.

Oh, no! I just realized what I forgot to talk about in my fanexpo coverage, the thing that struck me was the fact that all these people, maybe you don't like some of their work- but they're only human. Take Ian Flynn over at Archie comics (please!), I'm not thrilled about his work, but those Archie guys... it's a whole other universe from what I'm interested in. So even if I could be arrogant enough to suggest some things to Flynn that I think would improve his story writing.. the man has fans, and his own way of doing things, and I can't say he's hurting anyone.

But man, throw some curveballs at your characters from time to time, huh?

It's too bad I didn't get another chance to talk to Jeff Lemire (upcoming writer on a new Superboy series), all I did the first time was basically quote my own review for his Action Comics back up story, which was great, don't get me wrong, but I still shared some of the negative point (yeah, just the one bad thing), and he didn't need to hear that. He didn't seem to mind, but then again I feel like I was doing more talking on that front...

Learning my lesson, I tried to let JT Krul do most of the talking, which is important, since my goal was to get a feel for the guy since I really didn't know much about him. He was really nice, talking even while I was delaying him from going to lunch with Marcus To and Francis Manapul.

I've never really been too mean as far as it goes with my criticisms of different creative teams, but I'm sure I'll be even more understanding now.

Really wish I shook Stan Lee's hand though- I'm all about the handshakes.
The autograph is sweet though. I better take care not to lose that book.

No comments:

Post a Comment