Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dream time, colour you interested

Oh man-

So I'm at work (this is a dream) and a guy is asking me about combos and stuff, and this one woman (it's the character from the Office, she's from Florida, has two huge pet dogs, if you watch the show you proably know who I mean) apparently runs the business now, and when I say I don't know what combo we're taking about here- she flat out fires me.

And not the joking "ha ha.. you're fired." that I say to my staff all the time, this was legit. Well, dream legit.

So I'm assured by other people that I'm way too good a worker for a firing to "stick", but in the meantime, needing money, I'm in trouble.

So I walk into this one sketchy building, and it's one of those places that give temporary jobs to people for the day.. so even though it's late and they're clearly closing up shop this guy at a desk asks me what do I want?

"Uh, er, a job I guess."

"Do you want mine?"

"What?"

"Not for the long term, just for a bit, while I go on vacation." He starts grabbing things for his suitcase.

"Well, okay, what do I do, where do I get the jobs to give to people, when am I supposed to be here every day?"

While this exchange is going on, there are four other characters in the scene: an older woman is near the front door at the desk, she's like some kind of secretary, there are two other girls about my age, for whatever reason one is black and the other is white, both are soft spoken but friendly, and the fourth is a guy about my age, I feel like he had a red jacket (similar to that one famous Eddie Murphy thing, or maybe the Michael Jackson Thriller jacket- it's an eighties look for sure) and he's got the glasses and demeanor of a Johnny Cage (I guess by which I mean he's got the sunglasses and is cocky and daring)

The man, who becomes increasingly grotesque as I look at him- particularly with his lip, which is evidently split halfway up to his nose, giving him the ability to put a pennie in his mouth and have it poking out standing vertically over where his mouth should technically be.

He says I can show up to work whenever I want to- all I need to do right this second is tie these cups together for easy access later. I start at it, but I'm not the best at knots even in the waking world, so a dream one isn't doing me any favours (incidentally I had great success FLYING for a short segment earlier, it was pretty awesome now that I remember it) and then I start attempting to tie the cups to muffins as well, and of course the string/wire keep cutting through the muffins.

Remember that penny I described? So the gross man spits it out, vertically of course, onto the seat next to me, and I'm pretty horrified. I try to joke, and say, yeah, you keep it, but he's standing there as if he wants me to pick up the thing (had I not seen where it had been, just walking along, I'ld probably have picked it up. But not here, not like this...). So the Johnny Cage guy struts over, spits out his own penny next to the other, then gives a wink to me when he picks up both of them like it was all some variation of craps or something. He did it to get me off the hook of having to pick up spit covered pennies, and I am indebted to him.

Free from the pennie prospect, I get out of my chair so I'm not in such an open position. I half trip over a bag of smallish apples (except for the random opening times, this place/agency actually treats its walk ups rather well- not old coffee and old donuts, but muffins and apples. And fountain cups... hopefully for something that isn't old coffee, but I can't be sure on that one. At least they don't have to share.) and get some string that looks like it'd be a bit gentler on the muffins.

Sitting back on the couch as far away from the man as possible I'm now surrounded by my new... coworkers? Staff? Don't know.

The gross guy is doing that leaving thing where he's got his suit case packed and he puts on a trench coat and fedora, the older secretary is up and is clearly leaving with him.. even though earlier she had mentioned the old guy was shacked up with someone who he refused to marry. Maybe she was talking about herself.

The gross man: "Yes so, I'll be back after a few weeks, just have to avoid some creditors and whatnot"

The older man and woman are just about out the door when the Johnny Cage guy says "there go two ugly, rich bastards"

I nervously laugh, and it feels like the classic end to a sitcom episode, until it shifts to the recent subversion of an addition after the laughter, in this case it goes...

nervous laughter.
*beat*
"Am I going to die here?"


And then I get a text waking me up. It was probably for the best. In the waking world I have not yet lost my job- that's what September is for! Job losing.

Yeah, this isn't Scott Pilgrim talk, but I just woke up, I needed to get it down.

Actually, I've got the post started for Pilgrim and for another one, I just need a second (hour) to do them. I don't usually have posts all lined up like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment