Monday, April 30, 2012

Wow I freaked out

Unexpectedly, there's a doings transpiring. Terrible, terrible doings.

I got a wake up call today from a random guy at Iron Horse Security (it's not that random, that's the company I work for) asking me when my security licence expires. I said May 7, on my birthday.

It was brought to my attention that I did not have enough time to get my physically renewed licence before then, that there would be a period of time when I couldn't act as a security guard.

I thanked this guy for the information, then IMMEDIATELY DIALED THE NUMBER ON MY NOTICE OF EXTENSION MINISTRY OF WHATEVER.

So the woman who answered my call, I'm afraid I have to take great umbrage to. She told me that I'd have to hand in the full application for my security licence. In my agitated state, I assumed this meant retaking the training course, exam, and application process from when I first got my licence, with all the adjacent fees that went with it.

I asked "do I have to go through the FULL application?" which, in my head, meant the aforementioned 2-3 month process that I went through the first time, again, with all the costs.

Her answer: "Do I have to repeat myself? You must send in the full application." said with a close a tone as possible to the line "did I stutter?!?" without actually crossing that line.

I thanked her very politely for the information, hung up.

I proceed to wish I'd screamed obscenities at her, hit the wall, cry out, generally freak out. There's really only been a handul of times where I've ever lost my cool like this. Man.

A bare minute after I'm done throwing my tantrum I get a call from my (I guess) supervisor at Iron Horse, asking me about this licence business. I tell him the truth, the part that really burns me- I forgot to renew my licence earlier. Just- forgot it! That's like the one thing I had to do, and I didn't do it.

Having woken up this late, there's no time to stop at the Ministry of Magic to renew my licence today. That'll be a first thing in the morning job.

Here's how this is likely to play out: though it sounded like I had to do the rigamarole of my original licencing process, the phone operator probably just meant I needed to do the full REGULAR annual licence renewal application. So when I go down to the offices tomorrow and pay the renewal fee ($70 or thereabouts), they may issue a temporary licence until the new one comes in the mail, and I'm good to go. I'll swing by the Iron Horse offices to let them know things are good, and I'll pick up some new work pants while I'm out. That's the best case scenario.

Alternatively, and more likely, I pay the fine, and have to wait out the physical card being mailed to me. That leaves me with an enforced three weeks to a month off work. When I have my licence again I may or may not be able to return to my current staffing position at the condo. This kind of change could be a good thing, and I have just been working for a year straight- I could actually use a bit of vacation.

Least likely, but also possible: there was no misunderstanding between me and that phone operator, I DO have to go through the whole several hundred dollar process of getting a new licence, and will have to find a new job after that. <- that's the option that had me freaking out.

Okay, just got another call from my supervisor, making it sound more and more like that first option is what's going to happen. So we'll see how it goes.

Less earth shattering post to come tonight for the sake of quota.

No comments:

Post a Comment