Monday, April 30, 2012

A bit of Swiftian description.

Quick health update: getting better, last night was definitely the worst of it.

I wasn't able to write this second post last evening (had work to do), but that's okay! I'll right this one now, another when I get up, and a final entry sometime before midnight. This is definitely the most I've ever cheated going into another month- my rule is I don't like to post more than once a day... or at least that WAS the rule, it'd be hard to assert that now!

I wanted to work on a description of this one girl from the subway I found interesting yesterday- which is another plus to having two more posts up so soon after this one, it'll bury this and maybe I won't appear to be some creepy guy that stares at people.

I clearly am a creepy guy that stares at people, but at least I won't appear as such.

I suppose I should start by saying she was asian; if I had to guess I'd say chinese... but given my track record that probably means she's anything but chinese.

Her most striking feature were her lips, large and full, I'd guess about twice the size of an average pair.

She had straight, shoulder length dark hair, with the bangs cut (that's such an odd word for a bit of hair design, "bangs" I feel like I've got the info wrong on this one..) and parted on the right, with a hair clip (love those) holding together a curtain draped along the left side of her face.

She had a thin line of light purple eye shadow, usually only noticable when she half closed her eyes, which she did fairly often. She seemed unfocused in that way, so I wonder if she was tired. She had earbuds in, a long dark coloured cord snaked out from under her hair, below her bag and into her pocket. This stood out for me because of how long it actually took me to notice she had them in, and then it seemed like such a glaring oversight on my part. You also see white earbuds/cords so often because of the ubiquity of Apple products that a black cord is notable.

She had a dark brown fur trimming at the top of her coat- or else it was a scarf, I wasn't able to figure that out for sure. (I feel like I started out thinking it was a bomber jacket then grew to suspect the scarf option.. but it's been a while, maybe the opposite is what I thought).

All of her clothes had a brown-orange colour to them. Her bag sat on her lap, a large buckle attached to the carrying cord. Her shoes were especially interesting, like workmans boots, but really small, pointed slightly inward, and with a scuff or scrape of white over the right foots big toe. I feel like there's a story behind that scuff mark- really it's that mark that made me want to catalogue this girl.

Her pants, more orange than brown, but still on that spectrum, had these fantastic half inch long white stiches following the inside of her pockets to halfway down her thigh and then curving down and around her leg. Possibly they just contoured the pockets themselves, but the marks felt more stylized than functional. This single element popped off of her ensemble. I should hope a fashion writer would be enthused by them.

She had a ring on each pinky finger. Both silver coloured, the right handed one looked like like a key ring made to fit, with a groove in the middle separating the corkscrewed halves of itself. Uh, then again, I may be crazy and she just had two really thin rings. Either way, the left handed ring was thicker, with the beginnings of a wave to it as it sloped around the finger. You could tell there was some design on it, I just couldn't see it because it was the hand furtherest away from me, often obscured by her bag.

She was slouched into her seat, but not into herself. That feels like a tricky thing to do, I'm not sure. Needs more study.

She coughed a couple of times, a quick and quiet cough, restrained and timid, but I didn't get the impression that she herself was especially timid. Maybe she was simply too tired to cough with gusto.

That should do it for my recollections. They aren't very poetical (no "her lips were like..." uh, somethings. I don't know.) I didn't want to project much of a narrative onto her, what with her being an actual person and not a creation of my own imagination. Or maybe it's that nothing came to me. I was more just trying to itemize things. See what words came readily to me or not.

For example, "orange-brown". Not very helpful. I guy with a firmer grasp of colour palette could've maybe said "chestnut" or "oak" or whatever, and I COULD have said that, but I'd be faking it after hearing a few bars hummed. It's no good using cliched descriptors if you don't know what they mean yourself, how is anybody else supposed to know?

Ugh- this from a guy that said an article of her clothing "popped". I'm an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment