Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I woulda been up yesterday but I took an arrow to the knee. (Yes, I'm a poser, I've never played any Skyrim)

Man, I'm a slacker right now. I've once again spent the whole of a day in bed. It's really taking far too much time to recover from my work days. And could I please find the energy to go to the gym?

Actually, on the gym note, I did go for a significant run after my shift Saturday (so, it was Sunday morning). I missed the bus heading east on Lawrence, and not wanting to wait, I ran over to Yonge. I made it with a good, what? 5-8 minutes before the next bus would've come along to ferry me across.

But as I was approaching Yonge- VROOM!- I missed the north bound bus. Ookay. So I decided to run some more, taking the adventurous, bus-less route further east along Lawrence, to then travel up Bayview to York Mills.

I made it to Bayview (was there any doubt?) but my left knee was starting to kill. I ended up walking the remainder of the trip up to York Mills. Just north of the Glendon campus of York University I could smell that one of the schools in the area was cooking bacon... man I'm not normally a bacon guy, but I really wanted it at that moment.

At a half a block from York Mills, my destination in sight- VROOM!- are you kidding me?!? I missed another bus?!?!?

It was either 7:13 or 7:15 when I arrived at York Mills and Bayview (I guess the bus was supposed to be there for 7:10 or something like that) and I started running from my building about a block east of Lawrence West station at 6:05am. It's no real wonder that my knee was killing me- an hour and ten minute trip, at least 40 minutes of which was spent running, after a 12 hour shift, no real warm up (spur of the moment and all that), carrying my laptop, and wearing my steel toed boots.

You know what? If I'm only as strong as my weakest link, and my weakest link is that knee- bravo, sir! (Two days later and my knee is okay now, I'm left with a slight soreness in the muscles, I guess my quadriceps, which is what I was expecting the whole time, so I'm very good with that.) Uh, still, I'd rather not have my knee hurt like that again... that definitely sucked.

Not that this is necessarily worthy of recording, but during the walking portion of my trip, soon after smelling the bacon, I was thinking about how cool time is, how it's sort of nice that it just keeps moving forward without anyone needing to turn a crank or anything. I thought of time as "the fire that is always going out" which I thought sounded rather poetic. Anyways.

At that Bayview and York Mills corner there wasn't much around. A Second Cup and a Metro was open. Don't drink coffee, not sure I've ever been in a Second Cup... but the Metro opened at 7am and I was thankful. Didn't see any obvious breakfast sandwiches that I could dive into right there, so I bought a bag of salt and vinegar chips. I toddled back to the bus stop, plunked down next to some guy who just wants a normal day at work I reckon, we exchange a good morning, I remove one glove, and spend the next 15-20 minutes eating chips.

They were plenty delicious by the way, but no longer moving around, sweat cooling, I started to freeze. My hand approached frost bitten as it moved from the bag to my mouth. Righty dove deeper into the bags recesses, the make-shiftiest of make shift gloves. It was pretty stupid. But before I cooled down quite so much I was having a ball. Just a guy with his chips.

It was slow going once the bus finally came and dropped me off at Victoria Park, I limped home and collapsed into bed, hurt knee and sore back.

Maybe I got six hours sleep before I had to go back to work- is it any wonder my knee still hurt and I limped for most of the next day?

And I suppose I still needed to recover from that, plus that nights 12 hour shift. Okay, you've convinced me, I won't hold it against myself that I stayed in bed all yesterday! But I will rage against the world, because why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment