Saturday, March 31, 2012

Social Function Part 1

On the social function front, I went out to a friends "house cooling" last week. The renters were getting kicked out so renovations could happen. Good for the owners I guess, inconvenient for the rest. Well, that's what happens when they're just a bunch of kids renting. No respect.

Of course by kids, I mean dudes my exact age, so replace "kid" with "big lugs trying to figure out what to do in this world". Same thing really.

I forget why I left so late to go to the party... unless it was the night I was waiting for Cool Geoff and certain of my brothers to get home with the pizza I ordered, and then of course I had to eat that pizza while watching episodes of Community. Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. It's actually amazing I made it out of the house at all that night!

On my way to the party I texted my friend that lived in the house (who else am I going to text?) about whether or not I was too late to come down, but he said to head on over in a very encouraging manner. Okay, the way I'm describing this, it sounds like the big twist reveal here is that I completely misinterpreted him and wasn't supposed to go. Not so! I'm just telling it like it is. Or was.

As I climb up the stairs out of the subway onto, what is it, Davenport? It's the OTHER street exit for Ossington station- I just barely climb up in time to catch my buddy Jimmy's eye.

No, Jimmy is not the guy whose party I was headed to, and no, I had not made plans to meet up with this particular friend. It was just a lucky coincidence.

He asked if I was going to a mutual friends house (where he was headed). Nope, I'm going to a non mutual friends house- a dude in Toronto that Jimmy doesn't know! (That's actually pretty rare... it's his city, we all just live in it.) We made plans to hit the subway home together after our mutually exclusive stuff was done.

Onwards to the house cooling! It's the first time I've made it to this place, as the house warming was cancelled on me (the house warming really wasn't that long ago...) and some guy I didn't know was gracious enough to open the door for me. That's swell!

When I finally made it to the room with all the people I did know... I had fun! Turns out, lot of Doctor Who fans in the house. I was even in a halfway decent picture I guess, it's my current facebook profile image. I thought maybe my arms looked a little funky, but I got a compliment sort of on my triceps, so I guess I've got all my parts in order. And I wasn't even flexing for the picture or nothing!

I got the call from Jimmy to head out, so I left on a high note, which i think is a good call.

In the subway, Jimmy notices my brand new shoes- I got them at Wal-Mart for $12.50. He's distateful of both the corporate tyrrany that is Wal-Mart, and also the fact that his shoes cost $60. "You could buy a new pair every week!"

Remember the shoes, this'll come up again in part 2!

Oh, that's right! After enjoying my time with Jimmy, I'm subway riding again, homeward bound, when I run into another old class mate from the high school days just outside the station. It was pretty neat/also coincidental.

I suppose it's possible that that night was a pilot episode for my own version of the Truman Show. In which case I should have been more interesting, maybe use soap to draw on a mirror (camera?).

No comments:

Post a Comment