Monday, March 12, 2012

John Carter, Haircut, Tea Shop chocolates- that backwards order

So over on rottentomatoes.com John Carter has a 50% rating.

Pro tip: that's crazy. I went to see it yesterday and had an absolute blast. It's Adam Strange and Superman and Conan all mixed together... which makes sense when you consider what those stories owe to the original John Carter books.

I was a little unsure about the narrative framing device, even though yes I imagine that's how the book originally does it- I feel like I've seen it used too often lately. But then they added a particular twist that justified the framing device in-story.

I saw the film with my buddy Mike, and afterwards we wondered in a great big circle, ending up just north of the downtown AMC theatre we started from. We ate at Fran's (where it's clear I'm making some progress with my chop stick skills) but once payment time came 'round, guess who had lost their debit card? Me!

Fortunately I had my credit card on me, AND that we were once again so close to the theatre. We went back to enjoy the last few minutes of another screening of John Carter (a nice treat if nothing else) and then Mike, with his smart phone flashlight application and an exclamation of "You're gonna love me." Found my debit card!

That's really lucky... well, I mean, not so much luck as "we looked in the only place it could be that we could concievably spot it, at the last place I knew I had it"

What WAS lucky was how when I called Mike to see what he was up to he was just about to buy his John Carter ticket- and he didn't have any company, AND I was just a few blocks away after getting a sweet hair cut and AAAND I really wanted to see John Carter.

So my hair cut. That was at Queen Salon & Barber Spa (I'm just reading off the business card now... I personally wouldn't have gone with the Sweeney Todd picture, but okay) 316 Queen Street East, Ralph was the guys name, and not only was the guy super nice, but he really did do a great job. You know I coulda gotten a free espresso/cappucino if I wanted? (remember I don't tend to do caffeine, I took a water instead). I got a ton of value from that trip, and it wasn't that much more expensive than my trips to first choice haircutters. I may have to stick with this guy.

And to continue my backwards talk about my Sunday, before my hair cut I visited Adornments on Queen (I was, uh, trying to find someone..) where I got a sample of some kinda almond honey tea business- this place has a tea bar- and, to thank the uh, host? server? sales person? I bought a package of chocolate covered cranberries.

It's definitely easier on the old cheque book to window shop from outside! But it's okay, so I had a day where I spoiled myself a bit- it was a beautiful day, things seemed to go my way, and I had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment