Saturday, November 19, 2011

Doctor Who two

Ah my head. I really didn't get enough sleep.

So, first thing then- snogging. Naturally I'd heard the word before, but it's been brought back to attention thanks to Doctor Who and the word is fantastically amazing. When I tried to quantify what exactly had struck me about it, it's the fact that it's somehow simultaneously high AND low brow. Isn't that just quintessentially British? I think that's amazing.

Obviously there's some culture shock involved, but I wonder if the constant hand holding between the Doctor and his companion is a sort of normal thing over there, or if this is particular to Doctor Who. Well, how can I really know? Sure, I could ask someone. Maybe later.

Either way, it shows a closeness, an easy familiarity and tenderness that really draws the viewer in. Well, it draws me in anyways.

I really like Rose Tyler. "Rose X The Doctor forever!" I should say in my best shipping voice. Particularly near the end of her run (the writers knew where the character had to go... well who else would know?) you could see her coming into her own, having learned the Doctors methods, she could save a day or two on her own at this point.

She was an excellent cryer. I can see people that'd think she went too far, almost more like stage acting versus the small screen, but it was a good counterpoint to the Doctors reservation, and even then, it's not like she was gushing tears when a flower got stomped on- it was always in response to a very personal hurt and fear, when she thinks she's lost those close to her is when she cries... and that's a pretty good reason! And her last episode in series 2 is genuinely heart breaking.

Same with the Paul Cornell scripted "Father's Day" from series 1.

Actually, did I say this was a crazy sad show yet? Wel it is! Tragedy upon tragedy.

There's the one episode where the Doctor gets to manipulate these nano machines that were the cause of all the trouble, and they brought back everyone they'd messed up, and the Doctor is stoked "EVERYONE LIVES! JUST THIS ONCE, EVERYONE LIVES!" I think I quoted that right, the everyone lives bit is correct, that's for sure. A happy episode, just flat out happy. I'm spoiled, most of MY heroes save everyone all the time. Except Uncle Ben. That guys got it rough.

Martha Jones, the companion after Rose in series 3, didn't emote as much as I thought she should have, but then again she had it tough. Rose was the every-woman who got elevated to the Doctors level (or thereabouts) by the end, Martha starts off as a sensible med student, a VERY different character. Even in the fact that she decides to leave the Doctor of her own accord, that she can resist that thrill addiction of travelling all over time and space- by definition she's a low key character.

And that's not a bad thing- I understand the fourth series has Donna as the companion, she was featured for one episode "The Runaway Bride" or something, the episode before Martha Jones arrived, and she was always yelling and being high strung and whatnot. Pretty annoying. Hopefully it'll be toned down some when I do check out that fourth series.

All right, that's post, I'm bouncing.

No comments:

Post a Comment