Tuesday, November 2, 2010

My title for now is "November Novel". A bad sign.

Just taking a little break from my writing for this november novel- I was getting pretty into the bad prose and I just couldn't stand it, I turned it up a notch, inserted my usual narrative voice, and rendered it supremely silly. That's how it goes with me- but the story was going to be silly from the get go considering the subject matter.

Now my taking a break usually indicates a loss of momentum, and you're bang on with that one- I'm at a point where I can't just write something silly, but have to actually organize it so that the characters go where I want them to go. Not much of a problem when I've planned out all the beats of a story, but a) it's been a while since I've done any real story writing and b) because this is a sudden jump-in-write-a-novel-for-november thing, even though I had the concept in my head beforehand, I really hadn't worked out all the why's and wherefores be fores.

But instead of jumping in on November first I took a little time to think of something, and so I've got a little sense of how it'll work, but beyond that I can't really afford any more time to figure it out- to reach the 50 000 word mark I have to write 1700 per day, and starting on the second, obviously, leaves me 1700 words behind.

Yes, it's just for fun, but still, gotta keep up with the joneses- especially since it's that competetive aspect that will keep me writing throughout the month, and I imagine that kind of continuous creativity will be a great learning experience.

Ah well, the Daily Show/Colbert Report hour of distraction is over, the tv is once again off and I am alone. Sounds like I can get back to it.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, problem solved- just have a character use magic! Why didn't I think of that earlier?

    ReplyDelete