Sunday, November 28, 2010

White space filled with little black markings. Until the layout or font colour changes.

Dropped off my dad and twin at church, shivering the whole way back. It's not even that cold.

This cat outside wants to come in- I don't know whose cat it is. It sure knows how to look cute when it wants something.

I've already forgotten all but my last dream- which is a shame, because I know I had a bunch of crazy cool stuff last night, none of which included zombies which is a big plus.

But that last one is noteworthy:

I dreamt I was working on a comic story about these two OTHER comic creators, one was critically acclaimed but too slow, so that when the accolades fell to complaints the 'guys upstairs' would switch for another creator who could get material out fast, but of course it was a hackjob. When the complaints grew over THAT fact the cycle would repeat, endlessly. It was like I had these two guys arguing about who was better in my head, and I had to capture that onto a story... but all I was really working on was a caption between two panels. It looked exactly how I would write it out/draw it out by hand- which is to say, bad. I didn't take the time to erase the little bit of vertical line between panels, so the word would look like-
]
15 [ Days
]

(That's as close as I can figure to a straight line on here, sure hope that translates when I publish this page.)

Then I scratched a 2 over the one, and it was really bothering me that I was taking all my time creating a word in a poorly constructed box. I wasn't sure which of the two creators I was supposed to be.

And then I looked somewhere else on the page, and there was a completed drawing of two guys side by side, like they were examining a page THEY had completed. I finished the panels bordering them, but then realized I had a bunch of useless space around the characters- I scribbled around them to shrink the border, but I wasn't impressed by the space, I knew I could have drawn the two larger or done SOMETHING to make better use of the space.

And then I woke up.

While I'm on the subject, I read an interview with one of my favourite writers on Friday, and it was amazing for how it, all at the same time, affirmed WHY this guy is the best around, while also discrediting the view of the 'perfect creator' that sees every interpretation, who consciously put every detail in that speaks to you. The fact that this is just a person.

Not only that, but the interview felt so positive! Like at the end of the day, you can choose to pull yourself by your bootstraps and choose a good reality. Like you can look at all the bad news we're force fed everyday and tell the world "I know there's good in you- fight!"

That's a staple phrase to say to anyone who has been mind-controlled, but that's what it felt like I should say. Maybe because I am talking to a mind controlled crowd- including myself. Everyone deserves a break from reading a seemingly innocuous article on the back of page 17 and wondering "is that what's going to grow to be THE problem?"

I feel bad I didn't go to a friends birthday thing last night. She's always really great to me, she would have appreciated my being there, but it's so far and cold. Instead I opted for some extra time with Cool Geoff at home, and eventually watched an episode of Firefly with my brother, while the two of us shared a bag of ruffled chips. It was good.

Why are there no ruffled salt and vinegar chips?!? Does no one see how that would be the best thing ever?

I should probably go- I think my dad is doing the service at the church today. I'm already late. Howzabout I have a bowl of cereal now? A good call.

No comments:

Post a Comment