Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's Saturday morning. In a better decade I'd be watching tv right now.

I've been up for about half an hour now, most of that time has been me trying to get back to sleep. I guess I'll take the five hours, but five hours ago I was exhausted.

I also wanted to get back to sleep just to try to hold on to the dream I was having- two separate stories in a news report style, both unpleasant, violent, but I can only now remember the one. I think it must have been the more straightforward of the two- a close up shot of a little boy in a park, except he's not so little. He's young, he's simple, but he's actually pretty big, with a sort of sloping triangle shape to him. The narration was about how this young orphan needed a place to live... but he'd just killed his previous caretaker. Not with any malice- he simply didn't understand that he'd done anything wrong, anything irreperable. A Mice and Men scenario.

I wish I could remember the second part, but as it is I've only got the image of this kid staring at me in my head.

Visited a friend for her birthday last night- I want to take a crack at drawing this one girls face from the subway. Her face is composed of all circles and soft curves- very rounded cheeks and chin, large round brown eyes- a light complexion so that you know if she had a workout or was embarassed or anything she'd turn pretty red (of course, I know that because that happens to myself). Light brown hair that she seemed to have cut herself, short at the sides, longer and with some waves and curls on top, swept to the side- but the most interesting thing to me is that accompanying her very soft, rounded features, was this sharp nose with it's almost triangular nostrils pinched to her face. That's as good a description as I've got for her nose- there was nothing that out there about it, but it's definitely something you wouldn't see everyday, and even if I was much better at drawing I'd have a rough time getting that feature across.

Ah, almost forgot the piercing through her right eyebrow.

She struck me as rather gentle, and aware of the world around her- I get that by the smile she gave to some cute kids sitting across the aisle, as opposed to being thoroughly tucked away in a cacoon of music, or even a book.

Of course after I thought she was gentle I immediately reflected on the question of whether or not that could be a fair assesment. I'm, for the most part, just assuming things based on how she looks and carries herself- what exactly ARE those factors?

No, no, I didn't go over and introduce myself- I can only weird out so many people that way. Maybe next quarter I'll get back to it. Like I even know when those quarters are.

Talked to a person about literature last night- mostly she talked, I tried to follow along. Ostensibly, I should know a thing or two about this stuff, but I found her very difficult to follow. Mostly because what she said SOUNDED rather counter to expectations. To make a really simple comparison, it would be like if in conversation someone says matter-of-factly "so yes, the cow goes bark" and then keeps going as if that last sentence didn't blow me away with opposite-ness. This person was either brilliant, or had too much to drink. That's a trap of a distinction I've fallen in before.

She thanked me for the conversation, and was hmm upset is too strong a word... fine, upset that I was leaving so soon into the evening. Ah well, she was nice. In a more lucid environment I wouldn't mind asking her more details about what she was talking about, get her to slow down and be a bit more clear than a passage from Kerouac.

See? See? I know things.

... although I did do pretty terribly during last nights college tournament jeopardy...

No comments:

Post a Comment