Thursday, November 4, 2010

If you're wondering whether or not your tire has blown out- it hasn't.

Just taking some time to empty my text message history- I know that's an easy enough thing to do for most, but because I'm neurotic that way I have to stop and record everything I send and recieve- an endeavor mitigated by the fact that I don't really deal with a whole lot of texts here. I still wait until the box is nearly full, so yes, it takes some time.

I just reduced my inbox to 50 when I started working on my outbox. I had gotten maybe ten done (leaving me with about 65-70 to go) when I accidentally erased all of my outbox. It's hard not to laugh at this. So I did. But I also laughed a bit out of relief- I just saved myself a lot of work.

Just throwing this out there- driving along Richmond street yesterday I saw a guys tire blow out. I laughed because it was so awesome, but then I felt pretty bad about the situation, it's going to be a rough trip home for that guy. That was yesterday, so I'm mostly just mentioning it because, you know, it was awesome.

Took yesterday off the novel writing... which means I've only done the one day so far. Two days behind, not a good sign. But I can catch up, no big deal. Watching an interview with Jeff Lemire today he stresses the difference between character work (his "Sweet Tooth" book) versus more plot driven fare (your standard super hero stuff). While I would have liked my story here to serve as a comparison and contrast between the romantic/heroic traditions of the knight, samurai, and cowboy (well sure, it sounds silly when you put it like that), and yes, some of that will inevitably happen inspite of myself, I haven't plotted enough, or figured out the characters enough, that they can realistically bounce off one another as unique. They were always supposed to be three sides of the same coin (maybe that metaphor doesn't work here...) but at this point, unless they grow radically apart, I'm going to be writing pretty much three of the same guy.

Not an ideal situation character wise, but there's nothing to stop a reliance on a plot driven story.

No comments:

Post a Comment