Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Post That I'm Pleased With!

So I finally bit the bullet and bought the book.

You like that? That came to me whilst walking today, and I do like the alliteration, it feels like forever since I formulated a fine fission of familiar... words. That start with the same letters as each other.

I'm working on it, okay?

Ah, but what book am I talking about? Fine I can explain myself, it's not that complicated, unless I type it down in a manner that obscures what I'm talking about. Which is certainly a likely scenario. And then add in the possibility (however slight it may be) of me missing a key and confusing things with poor spellings and editings.

Oh, yeah, so Gravity's Rainbow was due back at the library today, and I couldn't renew it with it being so popular and whatnot, so instead of paying a bunch of late fees I bought it.

With the exception of my comics, it's been quite a while since I've bought a book for myself. It's unfortunately the case that I'm really gentle with my belongings, so I'm not sure I'll be able to lug this book around with me for reading purposes- it may end up consigned to the table beside my bed for pre sleep reading.

That's another library pro for me: the books are what they are, purely knowledge repositories, if I can read it, I'm good to go.

I sound like an aesthetic dullard- maybe I am a bit, BUT now that I do own this copy I've got to say it's fantastic.

Ah, I don't even know for sure how to describe it- I'm running my hand over its cover and the edge of its pages trying to decipher it; feeling its coolness (a surprise talent, surrounded as it is by the heat trap that is this living room), the paper lumps together like a kind of rough folio, with that "old book" smell emanating from it.. I say old book smell in spite of the fact that this is a variant, a kind of "young book" smell.

It just didn't seem right to call it "book" smell.

No, I couldn't take this on the bus.

***

So I went to see a play the other night, and the director told me afterwards that when he saw me come in he thought "oh, Isaac came!" as narrated to me in a sweet happy voice. It made me feel really good.

In fact afterwards I hung out with that director fellow and the lead male actor (yeah, okay, it was a three person play with only the one male).. I've known these guys for something like four or five years now from their improv troup; they're incredibly funny, smart, and I feel quite priviledged to know them in any capacity.

When I watch people talk in the outside world the thing I see most often is either a complete obliviousness to the audience listening to them, the speaker is totally tuned out to the fact that he/she is, in fact, an idiot (I'm always quite conscious of my own idiocy, thank you), or I see people that are hyper sensitive, yearning for approval from every quarter and thus never saying anything with any real conviction.

I'm actually more sympathetic to the latter example- I like to be liked too.

But with these guys after the play, I didn't detect any ego or anything, they didn't have anything to prove: they were just conversing. I guess it's lame that this blows me away, but it's rare is all.

***

So I'm walking down to Woodbine and Queen today, I'm going to buy my friend a pizza as an excuse to a) hang out and b) eat pizza- but I've never been to the comic store he's working at before. I was actually getting pretty frustrated that I couldn't find the place, I almost walked all the way to Victoria Park (too far) but APPARENTLY what happened was, in my mad dash to super sleuth the location of this store, darting my eyes back and forth across the street, was that at the exact time I was walking past the comic store my eyes were looking across the street, then turning my eyes back to my side of the street I noticed the Subway restaurant right NEXT to the comic store (it smelled good, I was hungry) and then, as my friend hops out of the store to get my attention and call me back, I trot out of hearing range because I was crossing a street and didn't want to get run over (streets are dangerous! Cars are there!).

When you pull it all together like that, it sounds pretty ridiculous, and it is, enough that I couldn't stay frustrated at myself- that was comedy of errors style stuff right there. So, good.

Not sure why my buddy didn't call me back with the old cell phone. Maybe his boss was there, so he couldn't do it? I don't know. What I do know is that my feet hurt, I should finally buy new shoes tomorrow.

Really, I got ten months out of the cheapest shoes in the world, I can't really complain. By all rights just putting these things on my feet should have caused my feet to spontaneously snap off at the ankles (or contract leprosy or something) so yes, not a bad run for them.

You know what? I'm pretty pleased with this post- so i'm going to call it:

No comments:

Post a Comment