Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Irritant: angry honkers

The small street running parallel to Bloor over to Church St. is one way, and small enough that it's going to ordinarily have just the one lane of traffic. As I was walking along this road, a woman was trying to back into a parking space. The car immediately behind her vigorously honked at her before finally squeezing through and jamming on the gas to go forward...

...about ten feet, to where a post office truck and another car were blocking the way. The car in such a hurry began to obnoxiously honk again.

Coming up beside this car, as, again, it hadn't yet gone any real distance from me and I could EASILY catch up, I made a ridiculous horn honking motion, which somehow achieved the desired result of getting this guy to roll down his window.

"Stop honking," I told him, "you're not going to get anywhere faster!"

"What should I do? Just WAIT for these people to move?!?"

To which I immediately replied "YES!!!"

His wife/girlfriend, doing her best goofy Kristen-Wiig-as-a-specifically-moronic-character-from-an-SNL-sketch, leaned over, as though she was struggling to comprehend, and said "no, that's wrong."

Before driving off the driver said "I should honk at YOU!" Which is a ridiculous statement describing an action that, while already having minimal practical effect on another driver, would have even less of an effect on a pedestrian. I'm on a sidewalk, I don't have to move anywhere. What is this honking business? All it does is rile up the blood.

To make a long story short, I wanted a crowbar and licence to smash the guys window. That would have been a highly satisfying act.

If I'm in the car with you, and you're an excessive, angry honker, and I seem to be okay with it, that's just because I'm trying to placate you. I'm actually terrified for my safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment