Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Study of A Study In Scarlet (not really much of a study, I just wanted to say that)

In anticipation of a trip to the Toronto Reference Library specifically to check out the Conan Doyle exhibit, I was planning to re-read the first Sherlock Holmes story. Problem was, I had read it, and it was... difficult.

Oh, not the first half, a fun intro to the detective and his faithful companion, Watson, but the last half of the story is a long history about some corrupt mormonites out in Utah, and I know the first time I read it I was pretty bored by it. Where's Sherlock? What is this? Library, I demand my money back!

But just as I was on the lookout for the book, what should I spy in the Locke branch of the library (I forget where that is... I like checking out different libraries... it's most likely this is the Yonge and Lawrence library) but a comic version of A Study in Scarlet!

The text is straight from the original story, and the art is a clear cartoon style, maximizing the effectiveness of each glance. It's "Sherlock Holmes: The Animated Series" and it's done as well as the medium can allow- which is quite well indeed!

Having the quicker read comic version in front of me was also useful as it cleared up some confusion I had about the original story. It was just a trifling matter of... wha-? How'd he know?

That old chestnut.

Er, hem, but now that it's been over a week since I read it (just that long? Feels like so much longer) I forget my main difficulties. I think the answer is "Holmes phoned the country where the guy was from for a name and description". But I'm not a 100% of the question. Well, close enough.

Check it out, especially if you've yet to read Holmes story.

Also, it's great how the narration from the original is all "oh, Holmes has a long nose, strong expression, big square chin, etc etc.- but rather a good looking guy" and in the story you see the same features, but when put together you're like, "oh, it's Batman, of course."

Or, as Harley Quinn would say, "I know you... *holds hand over top of face, only looking at chin*... why, you're Bruce Wayne!"

No comments:

Post a Comment