Saturday, November 24, 2012

Follow up to the Gone/Wind reading

I was talking about this with a friend a month ago- I go through phases of doing stuff. This is hardly a surprise, probably most people are like this in one way or another, unless their lives are so regimented that nothing ever changes for them... which is kind of cool and lucky. Those people are, I think, exceptionally hard working, but often a little on the wound up side of things.

When I had brought this up, I was in a big reading phase. Good thing too, since I was getting through Gone with the Wind, and at 1000 pages I would've had a rough time getting through it if I wasn't in "tearing through pages" mode.

But I haven't been in a reading mode since. For the past week I've done one of three things: go to the gym, watch episodes of Veronica Mars, konk out asleep what with the gym doings.

That's not to say I haven't been up to other stuff, visiting friends, seeing movies, all the usual stuff I like to write here about (not that I have been writing here- not in that mode, and I've gotta get into it now, it's that time), but yeah. Just those three things.

I finally have to return Gone with the Wind today. I've been done it for a month, but I was late returning it originally, and so had it renewed when I was basically done. It's just been sitting beside my bed ever since, with me too lazy to take it back. To be fair, it's a doorstopper of a novel, maybe it's just too heavy?

Oh, but one other thing about my mode business- though this past week has been all gym stuff, the week before I was sick... probably because of hitting the gym the week before that. So that's why I haven't been fighting the urge to drop off to sleep. I'm trying to be REALLY careful not to get sick again. So far so good.

Just to update you on that book: Margaret Mitchell, born in 1900, is the author, and seems to have never written another novel. Fair enough, when it's as successful as it was, it's a tough act to follow. Plus it's already the size of three largish novels, so take it easy. I may be forgetting some critical piece of info though. Wikipedia. Okay, so she had a novel she wrote as a teen (400 pages, naturally) get published in 1994 when it was found (remember, or rather, so you know, she died in 1949) and she had a novellete which I bet was still ridiculously long, and articles written for The Atlanta Journal.

Rhett Butler was generally awesome, I pointed out on my facebook page how there's a scene that is almost word for word the exchange between Han Solo and Princess Leia in Empire Strikes Back, so dollars to donuts the scene is kept in the movie version and Lucas totally ripped it off.

However, as the book progresses it becomes clear that Scarlett and Rhett are both terrible, horrible people. I like to refer to the whole thing as "Pride and Prejudice EXTREME", where the main characters never get over their issues and get to be sad forever.

I'm tired, and it's been a month since I was all up in this business. That's good for now. More posts to follow soon, since I have to catch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment