Friday, November 30, 2012

At the movies for Skyfall

An interesting thing happened on the way to go watch Skyfall last week. Okay, it was actually an interesting thing during the movie, but I didn't want to pass up the chance to use that idiom.

Though the movie was into its second week, it was a cheap tuesday showing at the Scarborough Town Centre, so the theatre was pretty packed, and we ended up taking seats at the top row of that very front section that everyone hates to sit in. If I remember correctly we were slightly closer to the middle (just by one seat though) until our neighbors begged us to move over one for a friend of theirs. So it goes, and thus I was seated with one empty chair to my right, separating me from the aisle.

Appearing soon afterwards, a mousy little asian girl, maybe in her late teens (if I'm lucky- you'll see why soon) came and asked if she could take that lone aisle seat. We said she could. She immediately placed all her belongings, winter jacket and a bag, on the seat before leaving the auditorium. My friend to the left and I exchanged glances, commenting on the oddity of just leaving your belongings with strangers with nary a word of explanation. Perhaps she trusted in the audacity of the action. We obviously didn't go through her stuff, so how terrible a call could it have been?

During the movie itself she very often, well,what would be the word here... it was like she brushed her hair without a brush, but I don't mean she was literally combing her fingers through her hair, she had the length of her hair gathered on the one side of her face, and was continually running her left and right hand down it. It didn't seem to be a nervous action necessarily, but it was a sort of grooming habit that definitely stood out in the midst of a Bond film. The way I've described it makes it sound creepier than it was, really it was just odd.

Additionally, and perhaps I'm mistaken, but she seemed to be leaned over towards my person to such a degree that there was the sense of my being leaned on. I didn't have any problem with this, it's not like she was gross or anything, and let me stop you right there and tell you that I was in fact consciously staying away from the right side. I wanted to be very sure that it wasn't possible for me to be accused of being the leaning party- the arm rest was completely all hers and everything.

These two factors combined, I imagined she was kind of lonely, and just wanted someone to watch the movie with. She laughed at all the appropriate parts of the film (re: the parts I laughed at) so I was quite happy to engage her afterwards with a "good movie, eh?" but she zipped off pretty fast.

Regardless, Skyfall itself was excellent. I'm not a big Bond afficionado, but this was clearly made with an eye to both the fans and the enormity of the franchise's history. It seems the "Hollywood Hacking" on display was egregious, but how can I know that? I'm obviously scared of computers!

No comments:

Post a Comment