Friday, November 30, 2012

Elevator goes up, goes down.

I got to do a really cool job a couple of weeks back. This ad agency, somethingsomethingsomething music, was having an afterparty at their place of business downtown. The elevator only accesses their floor, the sixth, using a keycode that workers have. Due to the fact that it's a party, and not only workers are invited, the problem of getting people up the elevator to and from the party arose.

That's where myself and another guard come in.

All we had to do was pack in the elevator, then alert the guard on the sixth floor to press the elevator call button, and up it goes. We were essentially a hi-tech (relatively speaking) elevator operator! How awesome is that!?!

The shift was only about 5-6 hours, I forget exactly how long, which was also a relief. My shifts generally range from 9-12 hours, so anything less is a proverbial cakewalk.

The building itself was quite interesting. Situated just off Spadina, it houses a Toronto School of Art classroom (I'm pretty sure that was the title, regardless, it was an art class that wasn't OCAD based), I was told they were doing some life art/nude model drawing. That may have been a joke though, I'm not sure. Among other businesses in the building which I can't remember, I CAN remember "E-Lite Express", or, well, E-Lite something. Could it be a courier service? I like how I first read it as Ee-Light, just based off reading the spelling as is. Don't worry, I caught the clever cypher pretty quick.

I asked whether or not we had to keep track of how many people entered and exited the party for the purposes of keeping up with maximum occupancy laws or whatever... but nope, we didn't have to worry about it. Just press the button, send the elevator up. Be personable with the guests, easily done. Open the front door after it electronically locked (that was a bit of a surprise, but hardly anything to get worked up over).

Once again, working a stupid job that anyone and his monkey coulda done, but at least this time it was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment