Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Clearly this is the future

I know I should give it a rest with the dream journal, but when I first wake up it's just the first thing that grabs me (for obvious reasons). Plus, it's a more attractive subject when the things I dream happen to be utterly INSANE.

In an oddly specific turn, I was up at York University during a War of the Worlds style alien invasion. There was no fighting back, this wasn't Starship Troopers (I should really watch that, too) and I knew that was the case. Since, in my mind, any invasion will work its way east and south from York- I never did too much exploring north and west of that area, so in this story those directions are total wastelands, and therefore the only safe place to go. My strategy was, as it always is, if EVERYONE is going one way, escaping back towards 'civilization', then that was the one way I wasn't going to go.

I took Jordan and we began something of a death march north of steeles. The surroundings immediately became that of the barren north pole (okay, more like the south pole since we could walk everywhere, but whatever). Empty. White. Cold. Wind. There was every reason to think we would die on this journey. But then we found our escape. A brightly coloured bridge/portal, which, the more I think about it while I'm awake, I can only call the bifrost bridge. We crossed it and we were immediately transported to a leafy green sanctuary. Temperate, lovely, and from which we could see out into the whole world.

I was suddenly back with other people, which is just how dream logic goes, I don't have any reason for it to have happened, and we're preparing to evacuate back to the bifrost that I've told them about. We have a small cluster of humanity hidden away at the top of the world, at the center of which is a giant apple tree. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil? Yggdrasil the world tree? (probably spelled Yggdrasil wrong, well can you blame me?)

I'm playing a card game at this outpost at the end of the world. I'm trying to let this one friend of mine win, but he seems to be blatantly cheating, so we have to call him out on it. Before we can really do something about it, the real show begins outside. It starts raining apples! We exit our cheap motel like headquarters (of course I'm not going to imagine having a tent to stay in) to watch the show. At the top of the hill I look out onto the world as a wave of red as far as I can see falls and crushes everything. I assumed we'd have a similar problem here, but we only had a sprinkling of apples.

I move closer to the tree, and look up at the sky. There's a planet! It explodes into glittery incandescence. I assume it's a trick of the light, but the person who's standing beside me says the planet is gone. Understandably, the crowd of people I'm with are exclaiming about how this is the end of the universe. The apples, sprouting small hummingbird wings, start flying around. It isn't exactly evidence of galactic stability.

A spaceship careens through the sky and crashes into the cliff/steep hill beside our now roofless motel headquarters. I know, this really is a pretty crazy dream. I assume any inhabitants of the ship died in the crash, but there were three passengers and they were fine. They looked human enough, accept for the overly large eyes, the dark pupils taking up a disturbingly extra amount of space in them, as well as a sort of uniformly whiteish blue haircolour. Two guys and a girl aliens from Venus.

They speak english, the one replies to something I said with an "oh, snap" and I have to explain to this teacher that was communicating with them that 'snap' is actually a colloquial term that we have today. I excitedly tell her that these three are evidence of a sort of "lexigraphical convergence". But it was more likely, now that I think on it in the cold light of day, that they learned our language after the fact with radio broadcasts or something.

It hardly mattered. When most of the surviving humans moved out of sight of me, one of the venusians attacked me. He's trying to choke me, and I've got him pushed away with my feet... and then, in an embarrassing turn, I get saved by a character from an off the air tv show, the identity of which I'll let slip into obscurity rather than outline it here.

While I was distracted with my own attack (because, obviously!) the other two aliens start attacking everyone else, screaming at people and generally causing psychic trauma to everyone. I picked up the one alien to throw at the last (yes, I'm apparently just this strong) to disrupt their attack, but this is where I wake up.

So, how do you like that? Little flying apples at the end of the world? That's quite a trick, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment