Saturday, June 30, 2012

Just a short Senna I guess. It's a really cool doc

And the last horse crosses the finish line.

The Wednesday before last I went to see Senna at the "Bloor Hot Docs Theatre", which I had to be told is what they're calling the Bloor Cinema now after its renovation. I guess they're only showing documentaries now? It's all good, you have to see documentaries somewhere, and the place looks really nice.

I told my buddy Jimmy that I was going to see Senna and he was surprised that I'd be into a racing movie. The next day I saw him at the Comedy Bar and was able to explain better: "It's a documentary about a real life Speed Racer!"

"Ah- that's all you had to say."

It was a very foreign world I was getting a glimpse into. Not only was it the 80's, which I remember mostly from the cartoons I watched, less so the real world conditions, but also it's the F1 racing business, the movers and shakers of that world at the time. It's a great story they were able to piece together, but that's the advantage of twenty years, getting to see how things play out, getting time to piece together that story.

And you need that time to do that. Everyone is trying to define their story in the right now- and, sure, they'll never be particularly objective about their own story- but how many of us are trying to make romances out of impending tragedies, be heroes when we're villains, etc. etc. whatever.

I should say more about my conversation with Jimmy that day, but I've spent most of today working on getting my arbitrary number up. So let's just finish it here and pretend like I've done something with my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment