Saturday, June 30, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

Did you go see this outlandish gem? Well, it's pretty awesome. They do a good job of keeping the action going all throughout, and whenever there isn't any action you naturally get carried through whatever is currently on screen by the fact that it's Abraham Lincoln on screen. That guy has taken on huge levels of memetic awesomeness, making it a joy to see him in whatever.

Thanks Bill and Ted, by the way.

I was a little let down by how hard it looked for the guy to fight even a single vampire, especially in the beginning. I know for the sake of conflict and menace each fight needs that element of danger, but I think they took it a little too far. Take that with a grain of salt though, as you're listening to a guy who wasn't going to be a 100% satisfied until he saw a scene that was Lincoln, alone on the field at Gettysburg, surrounded by thousands of vampires, and he'd be killing hundreds at a time with the shockwave of his mighty swing alone.

I really expected that. Like I said, Lincolns awesomeness levels have been raised to the extreme, so my expectations go just that much higher.

Word of warning some more: the director is, apparently, the same guy that did Wanted- so clearly the slow-mo bullet time stuff is a trademark of his (uh, I think, I didn't actually see Wanted). Yeah, if you hate slow motion bits, prepare to hate this movie. There's a ton of it.

And there's one fight scene that takes place in the middle of a stampede of horses. An infinite number of horses. It's crazy how long that fight lasted, but crazier still how the see of horses never let up. Someone needed to tell the CGI guy to lay off on that one. Less is more.

("Less is more? How can less be more than infinity??"- The CGI guy)

My brother and I agree that the one dramatic bit, where Mrs. Lincoln (I'm not sure if I'm remembering her maiden name, or the name of her actress, so Mrs. L it is) is hitting Abe, crying over the loss of her son to the vampire menace, went on too long. Again, less is more. Plus having it go on so long really messed with the tone of the film, it so obviously didn't fit in the awesome President Kills Vampires movie.

Oh, also? An entire movie about vampire hunting, not ONE wooden stake through a vampires heart! I know!! And the final fight takes place in the midst of a collapsing train bridge, there're wooden planks everywhere, and Lincoln has had his silver axe broken in front of him. I admit his use of the silver pocket watch to punch into the head vampire was boss, and hey, if it works it works, but seriously, there was so much stake material there!

It was fun, but there are plenty of other movies to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment