Saturday, June 30, 2012

Gone Baby Gone- I didn't talk about this already, did I?

I've just woken up from this weird and terrible dream that I keep thinking I'm waking up from. I'm being chased by this backwards militant "church of the brotherhood" that have this one washed up but still physically threatening bounty hunter type guy who's chasing after me, all the while it's being broadcast as a sort of reality show that portrays events like I'm some criminal mastermind and my pursuer is an angel of justice. The theme song is some kind of Team America constant yelling, that's just catchy enough that I can remember it. They were trying to vapourize me with the sun at the end just now.

Man that was freaky.

Uh, well, let's see, what else- did I tell you about "Gone Baby Gone"? It's Ben Affleck's directorial debut starring his brother Casey Affleck and Michelle Monaghan (sp?) as two private investigators/lovers that get hired to find a kidnapped girl, a job they initially refuse to take because they know the odds of success in these cases are slim, and they don't want that kind of failure haunting them.

I went into the film knowing absolutely nothing about the picture, so it took some time before I realized "...it's a DETECTIVE STORY!" albeit with a very fresh faced protagonist.

That realization became a big deal when at the end Casey's character has a choice: to do the lawful thing, or to do the murkier, maybe more right thing. His girlfriend threatens to leave him if he does the lawful thing. What's he going to do? If it was me, I'd probably go with the latter option, but again, DETECTIVE STORY, where the world weary heroes never choose the option their heart is screaming at them to go with. They solve cases with their guts, then sort through the pieces with their heads, and he does the exact same thing here.

Interestingly, the movie is based on a book series written by the uh, Mystic Water guy? In that series' last book they team up with (uh SPOILERS) the little girl that got rescued here and returned to her negligent mother, and she's clearly the worse for the heroes choice, the mother even saying that it was the wrong decision.

So I picked up the first book of the series at the old library, I'll have to give it a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment