Friday, January 27, 2012

Late night update

Ah, now I know why I thought last Tuesdays comedy thing was happening on Monday. My laptop clock is 12 hours ahead! I didn't THINK I was crazy.

I'm just passed the lion's share of my shift, a little under five hours to go, andI can't tell you how glad I am to be typing that out. I'm really enjoying this laptop ownership business. I don't even feel guilty about having spent money on the thing. It's like I've purchased my own (virtual) space, and I desperately needed my own space. Apparently.

Reading through all of this weeks comics, and there's a new Transformers series. I don't generally dig Transformers in comic form, the whole transforming aspect doesn't translate well into static images, but this issue blew me away. There's a tentative truce between Autobots and Decepticons, actually wait, what am I taling about? The Autobots won- otherwise how'd they get EXPLOSIVE DEVICES IMPLANTED IN ALL THE DECEPTICONS HEADS!!

So here's the deal: Bumblebee is now the highest ranking Autobot left on Cybertron, and he has to oversee the creation of a whole new society! All the while dealing with the resentment of both the losing decepticons, the distrust of the non-affiliated cybertronians (the Switzerland robots, essentially), and the power to blow up any decepticon he wants with the push of a button!

This stuff could easily be related to the real world; I see snippets of Iraq and Eqypt in this new devestated Cybertron. This is true science fiction- eerily reflective of contemporary society while still exploiting it's technologically fantastical elements.

Hmm, that should be my review right there. Add a line about the clarity of design and there you go.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Cool Geoff about what books he wants to review, but chances are Transformers is on the list. And Aquaman.

Man, Aquaman is hilarious. The cover is just him sinking in desert sand. The only thing that could've made it better would be if he had a thought bubble going "Worst. Day. Ever."

Or how about "My ONE weakness!"

Or just a good old "NOOOO!"

They really can't expect us to take Aquaman or Justice League seriously. Well, they are, so I guess they can. But man, I wish they were being funny on purpose.

Alright, I'll probably post this when I get home in... ah, still about 5 hours (curse the bus travel time it takes to get home..). Right now I'll pop in season 2 of Freakazoid and eat some rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment