Monday, September 19, 2011

Read that headline thing below in a nasal voice. You know the one.

I’ve been holding onto the Toronto Star’s Entertainment and Living section from last Tuesday’s paper because there’s a story in there that I found fascinating… and now that I’ve scanned the paper I re-remember what that was.

The article starts by outlining a typo an author made in her latest book that changes a sex scene (I assume it was a sex scene) from racy to racier. It’s like Speed Racy. I just wanted to say that.

(For the curious, she replaced “shifted” with “shitted” in the line “He stiffened for a moment but then she felt his muscles loosen as he shifted on the ground.”)

But from what was really a non event (HEADLINE: BOOKS LOOKS SPOOKS PALOOKS- this wasn’t actually the headline, to be clear, I just wanted to sound old time newsy) then gets turned into a quick look into a new reality in publishing, that of the too quick turnover, with little time for comprehensive copy editing.

As an additional example, the end of the article cites an Australian cook book, Pasta Bible, “whose recipe for spelt tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto needed salt and pepper, but instead called for “salt and freshly ground black people.””

That- that isn’t a typo, that’s a whadaya call-it, a Freudian slip on the part of the writer. ‘Cause that example’s just crazy.

Past couple of days I was feeling down, but I put on my blue jacket, only the second time in the season I’d done that, and felt more truly myself. I guess there’s only so much of wearing someone else’s uniform, being someone else’s stooge, that a guy can take.

The stars were gorgeous the past couple of nights.

And going back to my old school diet of pasta and pumpkin seeds (plus raisins when I find some… and the concoction really does need the raisins) has been a book for my late nights. Where as just before I started this regimen I’d had some of the toughest times staying up in recent memory, with this new diet my last five shifts were pretty easy to get through.

Ulysses is still a rough read through, haven’t gotten very far and I’ll have to return the book to its owner soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment