Tuesday, September 6, 2011

30 Minutes or Deathly Hallows

Went to see, in case it wasn't clear, 30 Minutes or Less and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two (aka, HPDHPT).

I had a lot of fun at both, but uhhh...

I went into 30 Minutes or Less with standards set WAY too high. This movie definitely isn't Zombieland (brilliant play on the genre). I was expecting a much greater emphasis on the driving aspect of the whole thing- that's what they always talked about in the interviews!- but no. Cool as it was, the chase scene was surprisingly short. The villains were not only sympathetic, but had their own character growth. And a happy ending!

The heroes drove off into the sunset with a hundred thousand dollars... but that still doesn't solve the deep set problems that had always held the main character back. I told my brother that, instead of a coda showing the villains getting a happy ending I'd rather see something about the future of the main characters, what they've learned from their experience and whatnot.

I guess I get it if the creators want a "30 Minutes or Less 2" but this film really doesn't warrant a sequel. Not that that's ever stopped anyone before.

Harry Potter was just dumb. I was expecting to be all touched and whatnot, and sure, they got me a little bit when Harry is talking to all of his dead family and friends via that resurrection stone, but most of the time I was laughing at how ridiculous it is.

Why did that happen?
Why did THAT happen?
Now why did THAT happen?

I know the whole setting is magic... but this just reminds me why I hate stories with magic. They don't bother to set up the rules of things more clearly, and so the plot moves forward just because.

Okay Hermione, destroy the Horcrux
No I can't
You have to
Okay then
*Stabs Horcrux*
*chamber gets flooded with water briefly*
*Hermione and Ron make out*

^- how do those events lead to the next? Stuff just happens!

At least Neville was rocking. I want the Neville movie.

And seriously, could people please just help the guy trying to stop the evil dark wizard without taking a million hours to act mysterious. Every time he needs help - I can't tell you (for some reason)- You'll see (after five minutes, so I'm just being dramatic)

Rrrr this movie. Not like it was even possible to end things satisfactorily. Lotta build up, that's all I'm saying.

2 comments:

  1. I probably won't see 30 minutes or less because my expectations of that are low (and, btw, my low expectations of Zombieland were just barely transcended when I actually watched it, and only because of Bill Murray's cameo - I'm too cynical for contemporary movies). But Harry Potter - agreed - they are films made for fans of the book, not films that are good in their own right. y'know?
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, Bill Murray blew my mind in that. But I THINK I'd have loved Zombieland regardless. Or at least really really liked it. It's hard to judge, what with the awesome Murray addition.

    ReplyDelete