Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Are you sick of 2011 yet?

Man my wrist hurts- okay, new years resolution, stop lifting things with my lame left hand (red right hand) until it's healed. Also, if it's not healed say in two weeks from now, going to the doctor.

The song that has been on my mind a lot lately (though its supremacy is certainly threatened by the use of 'Gangster's Paradise' in the current Green Hornet trailer... the old gives way to the new. Or, in this case, the also old.) is The Dead Heart as performed by Alexis On Fire. I've only just listened to the original version by this Australian group Midnight Oil.

Here's what wikipedia has to say on the song:
"the song... refers to early white settlement in Australia and is sung from the perspective of the Aborigines who had laid claim to the land prior to the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788."

I like the upbeat new cover, but that's just me.
Here's the chorus (which is really what it's all about):

"We carry in our hearts the true country
And that cannot be stolen
We follow in the steps of our ancestry
And that cannot be broken"

***

Some examples of my hilarity that I want to write down while I remember:

After seeing Tron: Legacy at the Eglinton and Yonge cinema I walked up the steps to the Chapters and there were these kids laying on the arm rails of said steps (rails? Is that what they're called? The things you hold onto when walking up or down steps...) and I says to these kids I says "What is this? A GAP kids ad?"

And they just looked at me! I think they thought I was mad at them or I worked at the Chapters or something.

And when I was at my friends Christmas party, my buddy Pogo wrote on his drink with a marker "POG1" for identification purposes. I said he was trying to get "slammered".

And once I reminded him of the 90's game of pogs, and how the object of the game was to hit the pogs with the "slammer"... he said that was actually really witty.

And finally here's one I didn't use. Last Sunday we went to a new years breakfast thing at the church because of free food. The prospect of food meant additional brothers were up for the morning trip, naturally making us late for the whole thing, so we had to be nomads and find random seats with random people. So this is to set up the fact that I was at a table with strangers. Except they weren't REALLY strangers. I can deal with strangers. Turn on the old Isaac charm, and a good time is had by all. But these are faces I've seen for several years and just never gotten to know. I feel like I don't really deserve to be charming at that moment. It's disingenuous- I'm not going to turn around next time I see them and be best buds. So let them see me as shy. I can live with that.

Anyway, the one guy was talking about some structural work that they had done with the church years ago, about how the 'hangers' were bad- some structural thing, I don't even know about- anyway, my immediate thought was to say "man, you don't want to put your coat on THOSE hangers."

Yeah, okay, that's like the worst joke ever, but it would've gotten a laugh. (Er, or more likely I would've had to go "Because... because of the hangers? You just mentioned? And then I'd have gotten a half hearted pity laugh...)

Okay, maybe I did EVERYONE a favour by keeping my mouth shut on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment