Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not really a fun post either.

A day thus far comprised of some success and some failure.

I burned through most of my paycheck with bills right off the bat; rent, metropass, OSAP payment, cell phone, and my traffic ticket.

That last one I could have done without.

Two weeks ago I was almost in an accident. It was raining, the road was slippery, but I didn't compensate for that, and I had a close call. Luckily (depending on your perspective) a police officer was there, pulled me over, gave me a ticket for an unsafe turn. I felt pretty horrible about the whole thing, so I had no problem paying the whole amount of the ticket.

So I'm at the courthouse today to pay up, and the woman at the booth makes me out to be an idiot for going down there to pay the full amount. "You're aware you can go to court to get this reduced?" Yes.
"Okay, it's your choice." she said multiple times.

I'd have no problem if she made me feel stupid for the sake of an improper turn, fair enough, that can be part of the punishment, cool- but is it so wrong to want to pay for a mistake?

Apparently the only people who pay the full fine are those without the time to go down to court, it's the price you pay for being involved in the hustle of the world.

Man, I don't mind seeing someone push for what they're owed- but all I see are people fighting for the most they can get.

The courthouse was such a stressful little bureaucracy, its fine print notices posted all over, you can't help but feel like someone's trying to pull a fast one on you. It was also a weird cross section of humanity sitting around me, the best was the one old guy that says good-bye to the attendant saying "I hope to see you again- though obviously under better circumstances." He was sweet.

And basically for the rest of today I was doing my best to avoid traffic on the way home, which meant I was a big dummy and didn't take the direct route- trying to be clever with shortcuts and whatnot. I stopped for some Wendy's on the way, so that's something.

2 comments:

  1. When I got into my accident, I was told by my tow truck driver that he could hook me up with a buddy of his who could get the ticket thrown out of court. I was also told I could fight it with relative ease, etc, etc.

    I did the same thing, I just payed it in whole. While the other car was equally at fault I totally deserved the ticket and was happy to pay for it (also happy to be alive.)

    Weird attitude the woman at the courthouse had indeed. Well maybe not weird, just, sorta sad maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so.

    Cool Geoff, you the man, thanks

    ReplyDelete