Monday, May 31, 2010

"Spectacle Du Talents!"

I forgot to mention this earlier, which is perfect seeing as how I wanted that 11th entry for the month- I found this notebook at work a week ago or so, and it's some kind of music class journal that this little girl has written, but it's entirely in french. So the cover has stars and scribbles all over it and a drawing of what I originally thought was some kind of sunflower but in context is a microphone with a kind of rectangular energy emanating from it. Or to it, I guess.

My french skills are pretty basic, but that's what makes reading this so fun, evertime I get to a phrase I understand, usually the same thing over and over again, there's a breathe of relief and an emphatic exclamation in the words. The best example being the phrase "Spectacle Du Talents".

The narrative progresses like this I think: The little girl and her friends (aka les Peuples Populaire) will be singing together at the talent show (Spectacle Du Talents!) but is certainly distracted by the best something (I'm pretty sure it's "looking") boy in the world, who just so happens to be in her music class.

But no- she won't be singing with the collective peuples populaire because of some kind of falling out, it's something to do with Devan I guess. It makes sense if he's as awesome as I hear- some one else may have called dibbs.

But in the end our heroine focuses on what's important- that regardless of the "Spectacle du Talents" she's going to the party afterwards with Devan, so she wins. (wins=gagne, right? that's what my breakfast cereals have been teaching me all these years "win a free something, details inside")

Anyway, the writing is awesome, the pencil was pressed so hard into the paper that you can clearly see and feel the words imprints on the back- I did that too when I was little. I can't say I drew my exclamation marks as little hearts over top even smaller hearts. That must be that verdana font right there.

It's a nice little stand alone story, but I hope that Devan kid gets his own spinoff book. I bet it'd be an exciting tale of his rock star life style.

2 comments:

  1. I would be amazing if you ended up writing a script or even another book based on that notebook; and then it ended up being turned into a movie. But not a movie about just the story in the book, but actually a movie about someone (you) who finds the notebook, and then as they (Isaac) read it, the story gets presented by the child actors; and then at the very end the reader and the children cross paths them without even knowing it.

    Probably more of a short film, but one which I think could end up being very moving and artfully done.

    It would also be kinda cool if you wrote a spinoff book for Devan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, you completely just wrote it already!

    ReplyDelete