Thursday, December 27, 2012

Unfun video game business (aka, writing ANYTHING before bed)

I don't really seem to have that much patience for video games these days. I gave Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword a try on Christmas Day, and have since given the thing up. Everything was too slow for me- the dialogue took forever to scroll through (A,A,A,A,A... come on! I already read you!) And the busy work they had me doing inplace of forwarding any kind of narrative really annoyed me.

Then there's trying to use the wiimote to swing your sword around. If the control actually worked intuitively, if I could just swing the thing around with a corresponding attack on screen, that'd be something. But that's not how it works. And I CAN'T get the balancing mechanic right for those tight rope walking sections. It's obvious that if I don't master that immediately it'll bite me later. Well, it shan't get the chance to do any biting- ha!

As much fun as it is to not so slowly boil over in raging frustration, I'll pass thank you.

Instead, I've been offered Mega Man Battle Network 1 from 2001, and although it's still got me yelling into the air with how often the viruses kill me and I'm reduced to my last save point (which was HOW LONG AGO?!?), but I'm otherwise having a fine time with it. If I was expected to get frustrated with finding my way through the twisty turny game landscape, well that isn't happening. I was far more frustrated with navigating Skyward Sword. Trying to find those stupid kiwi creature men at the beginning, with that useless device that, ostensibly, points right where you want to go... great, if there wasn't always some tree or cliff face in the way. I just never felt like I was getting anywhere. Highly annoying.

With Battle Network, even when I do a horrible job, I get some money to spend on upgrades. Things get advanced.

In short, whether deserved or not, Skyward Sword has made an enemy of me. Give me a call when it doesn't use the wii motion controls.

2 comments:

  1. Of course I have to say something along the lines of how I think it's a shame you (possibly had to) give up on Skyward Sword. I think it's probably my second favourite after Wind Waker as far as narrative goes, and probably even characters; and it's definitely my favourite as far as dungeon/world design. If the controls don't click for you though; I can see how it would be a pretty thick barrier to get through.

    Meanwhile in opposite-ish land, I absolutely love the world/design and even the battle system of the Battle Network games; but the basic gameplay and game's version of dungeon crawling annoy me so much that I lost motivation to finish 3 years and years ago even though I was having a relatively good time with deck customization and everything. I got lost in a certain dungeon/area and had to give up. So I can somewhat relate to the frustration thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho-yeeah. Actually, I've had a pretty decent go of Battle Network. A part I would have got stuck on Jordan revealed the tip BEFORE I could get upset about it (a much better strategy). I may be stuck now though, we'll see, I'm still early in the "am I stuck?" phase.

    ReplyDelete