Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Courier gig

Last week I started work as a courier. It's a job that I've dreamed of doing for a long time, and the fact that I'm actually doing it now is somewhat crazy. It makes me think maybe, just maybe, I can do a bunch of stuff that I want to do.

A friend of mine asked me about it, and here's what I had to say:

So here's the big thing. You get paid per package you deliver. The amount varies slightly depending on size of package, and probably whether it's a rush job or whatever. I don't know the exact numbers on that stuff because, well, I'm not a big money guy. I'm getting my first paycheck this friday, so even though I said I'm not a money guy, I have no choice but to be a little practical, so this check will really determine how long I can do this job.

As for how I'm liking it? I LOVE it! They've got the three courier types at this place, drivers, metropassers, and bikers, and as I've said before I'm metropassing it. I think the bikers have the best shot at raking in the dough, and if it wasn't on the verge of winter slushness I could probably see to trying it (honestly, I saw a bike almost get hit by a taxi today, and when that biker tells the story she'll be all "man, taxis are CRAZY" but from where I was sitting she almost drove into him). So I just walk around, and very often just smile that I get to be outside and walking around. My knees were pretty sore the first few days, but that seems to have died down, and I haven't had the energy to hit the gym afterwards since I started (which, I think you'll agree, is pretty understandable!) You can take a break whenever you need one, well, I assume. I mostly just chill out, eat my food and whatnot, whenever I have some unusually long subway distance to travel. Otherwise I try to plug along like a good, responsible, trooper.

The hardest part has actually been getting up in the mornings. Apparently even when you like what you do, you like your bed even more. So I keep hitting the snooze button WAY too much... and you know what they say when I drag myself over to yonge and bloor an hour late? Nothing! They don't seem to care! First time that's happened... but obviously I need to get there earlier to increase the ol' earning potential. In my defence, I haven't had to get up this early in well over a year, in fact it's basically the polar opposite schedule that I had been working (overnights... I actually went to bed at the sime time I'm getting up now).

My world just feels so much larger now. It's like I no longer have the urge to withdraw the maximum from my credit card and run away on the train for as far as it'd take me. You know, for now, anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment