Sunday, September 30, 2012

Something on the day

Just to finish up my quota (with surprisingly little filler this month. Guess you do more reading when you aren't playing pokemon all the time. Black and White 2 in a week!!) today was the same, and also different. There are always going to be characters that you run into, or just espy from the corner of your eye.

Today I had these two kids hang out with me while I was supposed to be securing stuff and whatnot. They were a really tall ten year old, and a really short 14 year old (so, equal size). Naturally I couldn't help but wonder at how much they have yet to experience. I got to teach them that the one hat that looks like a jaguar pelt (no, kid, if it was cheetah the spots would be more solid coloured) was actually made of rabbit fur. Say- whaaaaat? They were surprised. When ten learned this, he quizzed 14, and sort of good naturedly lorded over him how he knew something the other guy didn't. Now they're both up to speed.

To see how far in or out of synch I am with the kids today I asked about pokemon- ten collects the cards, and hilariously kept talking about having double X cards or whatever, even though I repeatedly told him I had no idea what he was talking about. They've even seen Dragonball Z, though they don't dig it, which is fair enough. Ten likes the Family Channel, and likes that I like "Drake and Josh". I was impressed that he knew what Drake and Josh was. Maybe it's just my youngest brother that can't remember things past a week ago (seriously, ask him about any of the big cultural milestones that myself, Jordan, or Simon are CONSTANTLY celebrating, and you'll get a big blank out of the guy. It's definitely up to me to teach his upcoming baby about Darkwing Duck.) and everyone else is pretty culturally up to speed.

Oh, but when ten was talking about how they don't let him bring pokemon cards to school anymore, I pulled on my years-of-experience hat and told him about the time kids were so crazy for pokemon cards that some kid stabbed another kid, then boom, the cards got banned.

Whoah, really? With a knife?!?

Uh, yeah, I assume with a knife.

I gambled that these kids were too young to have heard about that, but that they would still find the news somewhat shocking and interesting. Looks like I won out there.

They were good kids, good luck to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment