Saturday, September 22, 2012

My show would be "Ryder: PI"

I've started my new full time job, standing guard at the Michael Kors at both the Yorkdale mall and at Bay and Bloor streets. It's pretty terrible. You just stand there, ticking the time away. It kills my back, though that should become less true as I get used to it. Even still, even at Ontario Place when you had "gates" shifts, you were at least taking peoples tickets, and the shift was rarely any longer than 5 hours. Plus you did get a break.

Not so here, my shortest shifts are 7 hours, and my Friday and Saturday shifts are an interminable 9 hours. Two 9 hour shifts, then three 7 hour shifts, then two days off before repeating the whole Sisyphean undertaking.

From my first official shift with them yesterday (I've had five or six other shifts with them, but that's when I was filling in for others, and didn't think I'd ever have to cross the threshold again..) I've decided that three months will be my maximum time there.

So December 21 will be it, with my two weeks notice coming before that, all right and proper.

I (thankfully) had today off for a trip that didn't end up happening, so all together that should make for something like 64 more shifts all together before I'm out of this purgatory.

In the meantime I'll have to do some training so as to avoid ever getting stuck with this kind of job long term ever again. Filling in for someone is fine, but otherwise enough is enough. And the fact is the pay, while ever so slightly better than the condo stuff, isn't enough to satisfy my goals.

I need to look up what my next move will be. Probably getting the online 'smart serve' training, followed by handcuff training. We'll see what happens from there.

Yesterday I had a fantasy about how undeniably cool I'd be as a motorcycle riding private investigator (obviously the motorcycle bit comes from all the Kamen Rider stuff I've been watching- but if I ever wanted to afford a vehicle, a bike is looking more and more like the smarter/possible-est option). I realized, and I don't know if this is scary or good or what, but I'm actually closer to becoming that motorcycling private eye than I am to becoming ANYTHING else I could dream of.

So, yikes, I guess?

Ah, yes, realizing ones dreams/desires. I have to tell you about Kamen Rider OOO next time I'm here.

No comments:

Post a Comment