Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"Why I Shouldn't Do Stand up"

My stand up set ended up pretty interesting. The first interesting thing is that I finally did it, so that's tremendously cool that I've finally gone through with something, and something creative at that.

Jimmy (runs the show, my buddy) said two things: he was surprised with how comfortable I was on stage, and he congratulated me on the most meta stand up set he'd ever heard. That last part makes me really smile.

Except for the first thing I said about how comics tend to move their mike stand, none of what I'd said had been pre-planned to the degree that I had written it down in my notebook. Which isn't to say that I didn't pre-plan it, of course not. That which I was going to say had been running around my brain for the past week plus.

My set was about "why I shouldn't do stand up comedy" and then I told stories about why I shouldn't do stand up (that makes sense so far).

Though I saw the signal at the back to wrap it up, I ignored it twice, extending my set to 12 minutes. That number was edifying for myself, just letting me know "okay, I've got SOMETHING to say for a sets length of time" but after I got off stage and found that there was now two extra comics that had shown up for time, well, I felt like a jerk.

So for the immediate future (but not right now, I'm tired) I need to write somewhere the material I came up with for my set (I'm not worried about it, but it's still something I should get on) and consciously dump the extraneous bits. Focus on the theme of the set, tighten it up. The next thing I have to do is make it funny.

Tightening it up will help a bit, but yeah, actual jokes to my stories are needed. It hasn't quite clicked into place yet. But it's close.

I was hoping for a more amateur crowd of performers that night so I'd look better, but unfortunately they were pretty solid. Except for the one person that was terrible... terrible but for the fact that she got the biggest laugh of the night out of me. I dropped my guard! She wasn't saying anything funny, so whe she finally did it was such a surprise that it absolutely floored me! Pretty sneaky move.

No comments:

Post a Comment