Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Dictator in spring

Not only am I behind on my own postings here, but, despite the fact that I only follow like four people, I'm behind on reading OTHER peoples posts.

Went to see the Dictator yesterday with a particular buddy of mine that had a slightly different taste in movies than I do. If not for him I wouldn't have gone to see the Dictator, or American Reunion, OR Harold and Kumar, what, Save Christmas? 3D? Save 3D Christmas?

Something like that.

Interestingly, it looked like he thought THIS was the Sasha Baron Cohen movie that took things too far. Well, I don't know. I saw half of Borat before the library disc punked out on me.

After that I zipped along to this cabaret performance thing at Broadview and Danforth. There were so many people there that I was glad to see and catch up, it's a little surprising to me how much fun I had with them. Not only that, but I met some new really nice people. Maybe I was just in the zone?

However, there were definitely a few people I talked to for too long and ended up sounding awkward with. My friend Amanda who was to sing for the crowd, she was nervous beforehand, and I WANTED to make her feel better, but I was just making her feel worse. Eventually my brain went "you're not turning this around, cut her losses and leave. Stop talking!" So I did. And she was great.

But man, more guilt for the guilt fire.

It was a generally well put together show, but that the raffle took forever to get through (but that happens at a lot of raffles.. it doesn't help that most people don't win anything. Even I didn't!), and that there were multiple issues with the microphones.

Nope, not feed-back problems, which is really the more important problem to avoid I guess, but the host and other non-technically abled people had trouble getting the microphone stand to stay pointing in the direction they wanted. It kept sliding down. Without the microphone stand being defective, I don't get how that could continue to be an issue. Did you figure out the problem? Okay, then it's fixed. That's how that's supposed to go.

It had a "spring" time theme that was nice, all bright, pretty and flowery. I looked at a calender, and we're, I think, two weeks from summer.

So they just got this one in under the wire.

I ended the evening eating a breakfast-for-dinner at 1am at the Lakeview restaurant by myself. I felt pretty dumb and alone, to have spent all that evening with people, but to still end up eating out on my own, surrounded by people that made sure to avoid just that. Well, that's how it goes with me. Always dropping on my sword, pretending like I didn't have a whole other field to drop on.

Why yes, that WAS the worst metaphor ever, thank you for noticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment